PM Alert System...I miss it!

Guest Bamfer

I also prefer the old way. In my Assistent long lines don't wrap and protrudes through the border. All in all, get rid of My assistant and just make the links in it part of a drop-down menu.

I agree. Wish I knew how to code this up myself. I would think this would be a simple mod to bring the red strip back. *sigh*

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

*Bump*

Has anyone yet created a mod that gives us this old functionality back? I'm about to move my forum from 2.0.4 to 2.1.5 and I know my users are going to complain about the "My Assistant". Nice idea in concept, but I don't think it was very well implemented. I'm not really fond of popups, and since this one doesn't even open up in a separate, resizable window, it's usefulness is somewhat limited. I'm really surprised the old notification method was removed entirely instead of giving forum admins a choice and I'm disappionted in that.

..Al

i think u can bring this back by doing this:

look and feel >> **Skin name** >> Edit Template HTML >> All Global HTML >> global_board_header

Find

<if="ipb.can_use_fancy_js != 0">

and change to

<if="ipb.can_use_fancy_js != 1">

however, this will remove the new my assistant and some other stuff probably

I have modified my forum so that it displays the old PM notification when you receive a new PM, without removing any of the My Assistant functionality. The only difference is that you see the old notification box instead of My Assistant popping up when you get a new PM.

I will post complete instructions on how to perform this mod later today (involves editing two source files and adding a new skin bit).

..Al

Okay, I have included instructions on how to do this mod. Once someone's confirmed that they've done it, I'll add it to the Downloads section on IPSBeyond. I was going to attach a screenshot, but I see that IPB doesn't have attachments enabled in this forum (sigh..)

Classic PM Notification Box ======================================== Modification

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Works perfectly, thanks. If IPS can be persuaded to add an option to switch between the two, all the better. :)

Awesome, thanks for confirming. I'll go run over to IPSBeyond and upload it there. I'll probably do a mod soon to allow people to choose between the two notification methods. :)

..Al

I would like to see the old PM system back too! And I mean the system from 1.x versions, not the one with the userbar. The whole deal with My Assistant is too inconvenient and frustrating, especially for inexperienced IPB users. It would be great if the administrator could get the choice which PM system to be used on the board.

I would like to see the old PM system back too! And I mean the system from 1.x versions, not the one with the userbar. The whole deal with My Assistant is too inconvenient and frustrating, especially for inexperienced IPB users. It would be great if the administrator could get the choice which PM system to be used on the board.

I never ran IPB 1.x, and I don't recall what the PM notification looked like with that version. Does anyone have a screenshot?

..Al

Archived