PM Alert System...I miss it!

Guest Bamfer

After upgrading from 2.0.4 I've missed my red PM alert notification across the top of my board. My members have too. Is there anyway the old PM alert could be placed back into the next release and have an option in ACP to set it for the new alert system or the old alert system? I'm finding that most of the time the pop up doesn't open all the way and I don't like having it attached to the My Assistant. It disappears too quickly if it does popup. I know...I know... it could be a browser issue, I use IE6, but that still won't help me and my members when we have messages.

Please bring back the old alert system. Or make it an Admin option to have it set either way. ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of my members, with the exception of 1, have nagged me about the PM notification system since upgrading. I too am not at all fond of having it in My Assistant and prefer the original red strip. I came here wondering if I did something wrong. I had assumed that the red strip notification was an option that was standard ever since that proposed experimental translucent black box thing that was not received well.

Having said that... I expect it will be a while, if at all, before the reb strip notification is returned. Does anyone know if any of the mod'ers will be creating a mod to return this?

Other than that, I have to admit i am pretty pleased with this version so far.

Most of my members, with the exception of 1, have nagged me about the PM notification system since upgrading. I too am not at all fond of having it in My Assistant and prefer the original red strip. I came here wondering if I did something wrong. I had assumed that the red strip notification was an option that was standard ever since that proposed experimental translucent black box thing that was not received well.

Having said that... I expect it will be a while, if at all, before the reb strip notification is returned. Does anyone know if any of the mod'ers will be creating a mod to return this?

Other than that, I have to admit i am pretty pleased with this version so far.

I quite agree. :thumbsup: The new PM system just isn't working for me and by the majority of posts here I see many want the old PM Alert system back. I don't mind both and making it an option in the ACP or in the Member Controls but my members never had a problem with the old one. I hate popups as a rule anyway. Irritating and annoying. Advertisers are getting better at them even with a popup blocker installed. :angry:

I've also gotten a bit of feedback from my members about the loss of the old PM alert, but I for one would NOT like to see it return in the same way. I always felt that although it was visually nice to look at (especially the inclusion of the avatar), it was very easy to miss the popup. A while back, there was a discussion about making the alert stay put until it was dismissed, thereby making it a lot less likely that you would miss the alert as you were browsing the forum. The new version does tend to be more "in your face", which I like, but definitely doesn't have the visual appeal that the old style had.

What if when you got a PM. your also hear something like (in Mono tone you have (insert number here) of new PM's. If it's one You have one new PM, sent by {user_name}. Also proablaby, be said as bloat; but you could choose weather you get the "assisnt" type PM (what was coded into 2.1) or the old one (that was made into 2.0.x).

both will proabably be said as bloat, but just my ideas,.

Archived