Extremely slow page refresh since last upgrade

I wonder if anybody else has suffered this problem.

Since the last upgrade – 4.7 .17 – access to the site has become extremely slow.

It's difficult to understand the pattern but if you leave a tab with the site on it for even a few minutes and then go back later on and click on a link or try to refresh the page, it can take two minutes with three minutes to display.
Once it has displayed then there is no problem – but if one then leaves the tab and comes back again, the same thing happens.

We have had people on Facebook complaining about having difficulty accessing the site and registering because of this.

This happens with chrome, edge, opera, Firefox.

We have tried clearing the cache. We have tried clearing the server cache. Nothing makes any difference.

We are having broadly the same problem on our test site although we don't use it so much so it is even more difficult to discern any pattern.

Thanks

Your community is quick for me over a range of pages, even after leaving them open for a few minutes. You do have a lot of ads that may be interfering with clicks though, I'm getting ads pop-up when clicking links.

Is it a specific page type that you're seeing a problem with?

Thanks for this quick reply.

I think we are seeing the problem across the forum and frankly it seems to be getting worse.

If you click from an outside link it seems to be not too bad but if you're actually on a page and then you leave it for a while and go back then it becomes almost impossible.

For instance, I clicked refresh on this tab and and it has taken at least five minutes so far and when I interrupted the refresh I get this

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

If I then click one of those links, sometimes it goes directly to the forum but sometimes it just carries on refreshing.

I have a sense that maybe the most serious problem is accessing the homepage after a period of inactivity.
I'm still trying to understand more about it. I'm going to start disabling plug-ins and applications later on

Yes we are doing that – but I'm not a techie but I have it in mind that all of this happened since the recent upgrade. Before that we didn't have any difficulties and nothing else has changed with the forum

Running at the speed it is currently, you do really need your host to look. While it may well be something in the upgrade your server isnt liking for some reason, nothing should be running at that kind of speed.

Just now, Adlago said:

In my tests with devtools chrome for mobile view, your site works relatively well, but in the browser console, ad js errors are logged

Could contain: Page, Text

Its slower logged in it seems

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Thanks for this quick reply.

I think we are seeing the problem across the forum and frankly it seems to be getting worse.

If you click from an outside link it seems to be not too bad but if you're actually on a page and then you leave it for a while and go back then it becomes almost impossible.

For instance, I clicked refresh on this tab and and it has taken at least five minutes so far and when I interrupted the refresh I get this

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

If I then click one of those links, sometimes it goes directly to the forum but sometimes it just carries on refreshing.

It's because your phone doesn't load css properly, that's why you see a page without css.
Clear cache on your phone browser

Thanks. The above screenshot is from a Windows-based chrome browser – not the phone.

We were experiencing difficulties with the phone as well that magically it suddenly seems to have improved. I have followed your advice and cleared the cache anyway but Windows is still causing a problem.

One thing that seems strange now is that if you refresh the page after a period of inactivity, it can go on for two or three or more minutes. He then interrupted and you get the screenshot above. If you then click on one of those links it suddenly resolves to the correctly displayed forum page without any particular difficulty.

If you don't click that link and simply carry on waiting then he could easily take another minute or two before the page displays.

I'm sorry to give such a confusing and ranting account. I am going to start going through our plug-ins and applications based later on this afternoon to see if anything makes any difference.

Just to let you know that we have found the problem.

We have a plug-in installed called pro-stats. I have disabled it and the forum is now responding like lightning!

The problem with pro-stats only emerged after the recent 4.7 upgrade.

This is a real nuisance because we rely on pro-stats to keep us informed as to the latest posts and the latest topics started.

What with the dis-activation of pro-stats and also Elon Musk wrecking Twitter a few years ago so that our auto tweeter stopped working, it's very difficult in a busy forum to be able to spot new threads or new posts where we unsubscribed.

I see that there was a discussion about pro-stats in 2022.

https://invisioncommunity.com/search/?q="pro stats "&quick=1&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=or

I'm trying to get hold of the developer to see if there is an upgrade or if something can be done.

In the meantime, as anyone aware of any thing we could use to display new posts or new topics – not only to the site team but also to our visitors generally

In fact I have now found the upgrade and I have purchased it and upgraded – and it makes no difference.

When we have pro-stats activated, access to the forum becomes extremely difficult. Anything from two or three minutes and somebody has reported six or seven minutes.

This is only on the initial access. Once you have overcome that then the forum works well but if you leave the tab alone for a few minutes then you have to start again.

The problem seems to be when people try to access the homepage. The rest of the forum seems to be working once you are in it.

@onlyME

37 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

In fact I have now found the upgrade and I have purchased it and upgraded – and it makes no difference.

When we have pro-stats activated, access to the forum becomes extremely difficult. Anything from two or three minutes and somebody has reported six or seven minutes.

This is only on the initial access. Once you have overcome that then the forum works well but if you leave the tab alone for a few minutes then you have to start again.

The problem seems to be when people try to access the homepage. The rest of the forum seems to be working once you are in it.

@onlyME

You'd be best contacting where they are offering the application rather than on here

On 6/14/2024 at 2:16 PM, BankFodder said:

Yes, I have done that and I hope to get a response there that I'm hoping that including in a discussion here may attract responses from other people and of course it would be interesting to see if anybody else has had the same problem or has found solutions.

I received your message! I’m waiting for your response to look into this. If it's a Pro Stats issue, I'll sort it out as quickly as I can.

Edited by onlyME

Thanks for this – yes you reacted very quickly and then I suddenly got caught up in stuff and hopefully it can get sorted out.

Your plug-in is certainly very important to us – have already mentioned that I think it's a bit surprising that there is some inbuilt Invision facility which allows you to display new topics and new posts in a scrollable form on the front page and choose as many lines as you want to display.

Your plug-in is great for this. On a busy forum with people come with some serious problems and need responses quickly, the site team and other contributors have come to rely on it enormously