Banned in error

Go to solution Solved by Randy Calvert,

Hi all

First time posting for help, so please apologies if this is in the wrong area

I am admin on www.otib.co.uk and in the past couple of weeks we are getting emails from members saying when they login they are showing as being banned from accessing the site

None of the members that have raised this are banned or even had any warning points in the past

The odd thing they try again 5-10 minutes later and they can access without problems

Any advice please?

The more likely cause of this is banning by IP if its an invision ban message they are seeing, so I would suggest checking IP bans on your site to make sure you haven't blocked a large range for example. If you are having issues, we would need an example member and their IP address to take a look. Feel free to pm me that

On 4/5/2024 at 10:31 AM, Sonya* said:

Ask them to make a screenshot to be sure, it is IPS banning and not internet provider, firewall or something else.

Apologies for the delay in replying

I had one send me a screenshot, which I have attached.

I am not sure if it helps

On 4/5/2024 at 11:38 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

The more likely cause of this is banning by IP if its an invision ban message they are seeing, so I would suggest checking IP bans on your site to make sure you haven't blocked a large range for example. If you are having issues, we would need an example member and their IP address to take a look. Feel free to pm me that

This could make sense as we have had problems with people being banned and then setting up a new account, so their IP address was then banned

I wonder if that is the reason?

Thank you to you both for your help

Could contain: Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone, Text, Computer Hardware, Hardware

• Solution

If they are using an IP address you previously banned, then yes... they would receive that error anytime they happen to be on that address.   You should be able to look up the member in the ACP and see the IP address they used and then compare it to what is in your banned IP list.  If the IP address is there (including as part of a bigger subnet block), you would need to remove it.