I'm not sure if this is a bug, or the behaviour has changed with the way ban by IP address works.

I have banned members by IP address, but they are still able to view the site. It's only when they sign in that they get a banned message.

When you ban a member by IP address, are they not blocked from viewing the forum, even as a guest?

Ban by IP prevents any username from signing in.  To be honest, blocking by IP nowadays is almost useless. I can switch IP addresses with my ISP with the click of a button, or use a VPN, or switch to a mobile device and wander around, etc. 

The behavior of blocking only logged in accounts has been like this as long as I can remember. To be honest, if you want to block the entire IP… don’t try to use software. Either use the server (like htaccess or a server firewall like csf) or with a WAF (like cloudflare).

14 minutes ago, TDBF said:

have banned members by IP address, but they are still able to view the site. It's only when they sign in that they get a banned message.

When you ban a member by IP address, are they not blocked from viewing the forum, even as a guest?

It works on a different principle. IP blocking only works with the registration form. The user can still browse the forum, e.g. by logging out of the account or opening it in incognito mode, but he will not be able to create a new account from this IP.

The IP block is useless, if someone has a changing IP, all you need to do is reset the router or the Internet connection itself and you can create an account again.

3 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Ban by IP prevents any username from signing in.  To be honest, blocking by IP nowadays is almost useless. I can switch IP addresses with my ISP with the click of a button, or use a VPN, or switch to a mobile device and wander around, etc. 

The behavior of blocking only logged in accounts has been like this as long as I can remember. To be honest, if you want to block the entire IP… don’t try to use software. Either use the server (like htaccess or a server firewall like csf) or with a WAF (like cloudflare).

Cheers,

We already block by Server level and Cloudflare, it's more that we want something quick and dirty to get them off the forum first.

I am asking if the way that this works has changed or not.