Better image upload & image Resizing For Topics

Gill

Hi IPB Team & Community ^_^
As images are essential part of forum topic it would be great if uploading of topic images and resizing would be more optimal
Right now it is quite hassle for first time user of website.

As admin or Moderator we all know how to upload image and resize but for first time user  it is quite unfriendly.

As user i have to first "choose files" then click on insert then i have to double click to resize it, if i just single click it do nothing as shown below.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Even if user able to figure out how to resize image, putting numerical value is kinda odd procedure 

spacer.png

However if we see at other forum software they made this process very user friendly as follows  
Simple "insert image" button on editor that show upload option

spacer.png

spacer.png

Automatic Blue resizing border around image once it is uploaded  that user can use to resize the images easily 

spacer.png

if there is any way we could customize editor to make image upload and resizing as above please also let me know.

We hope IPB team will take note on this and make it more optimized. 

Thanks 
Gill

You can control maximum images size to store and to display independently within the AdminCP.  I set mine to display the maximum of what I want for desktop display, and anything smaller just displays smaller whether it's a smaller uploaded file or natively gets sized down for mobile.

It would be cool however to allow click and drag resizing behavior for the embedded image, but I'm not sure of your use case for this unless you wanted to do some side by side display and the default AdminCP settings didn't allow for that due to being too large.  My sites generally use an image per line in Forum topics and members have been good with that.  Can't say anyone has ever asked about doing the resize you mention, but I can think of display cases where it would be useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Some thoughts (as one of my communities is very image heavy): 

- Make sure you and your members know that you can drag and drop into the upload bar.  You do not need to click on Insert. 

- As @Clover13 mentioned, you should target maximum image dimensions to control the idea display size.  

I've bucketed some different kinds of images posters: 

- The casual image posters. They wouldn't use the resize even if presented as an option.  

- The heavy image posters. These are my members who are posting 10 images per post, and making multiple posts They know about the resize option, but they're not using it. 

- The blogger. These are people writing specialized articles with custom layouts and offsetting images.  They're the few people who actually care about image alignment and image resizing.  

- The admin or moderators doing announcements.  We know all the tricks anyways.