A moderator and I have been battling a weird image upload issue. I even set him to Administrator so we would be the same for comparison of our accounts. 

If we each upload the same image to a post, my image seems perfect, his seems to loose its vibrance. We have tried with multiple images same output. 

Anyone have any idea?

I'll update with some more details. Ive switched between GD and ImageMagick same result. 

We limit upload to 1200, the image is exported correctly not to hit the compression of the System so it should just upload as is. 

I would need example from both yourself and him on a post in order to check this. It shouldnt actually be any different from either of you. 

In terms of uploading and compression, Im not sure what you mean by you limit, and its exported not to hit compression. If you have compression set, it will be used.

Posted (edited)

we have had 3 people do upload with the same image. Still with the one persons image being washed out. It seems to be limited to just his Firefox on 1 machine. He's cleared it off his system and reinstalled, with the same result. Different browser on same machine it uploads fine. It makes no sense really. 

Sorry I was just talking about resizing. We tried both full size images and let Invision resize and resized locally. Compression On and Off has been tested. 

Edited by Rich N

Yeah something with there 1 computer, and Firefox installation as it works fine from Edge. 

I know they uninstalled Firefox and Reinstalled.. but there must be something in the system appdata or Registry that's holding on to it. idk....

thanks

Im in agreement that the Firefox instalation something is wrong. But im still stuck that that Gallery upload is fine and the Post upload washes out images. 

Something must be different with the upload procedures? or upload page.

On the Post new page, when you drag and drop an image or click here to select file from computer. Once the image is added you see it load before submission (on his machine that's the first site of it being washed out) and If I am assuming correct that the server does nothing with it yet?  until you click upload?

Before clicking you can see the image in the browser washed out on his machine for post only. But it's fine in Gallery upload? Im going to try and replicate it on my own Windows WS here. 

It's possible he is using some sort of VPN or other software on his computer (ad removal tool for example) that is causing the problem.  It could also be a plugin installed within the browser that is the problem.

Either way...  there is not much IPS can do about it.  And yes, gallery is a bit different than forum uploads...  the workflow is different, it calls different URLs (which could be choking up in say that VPN or ad removal software).  

Personally I think you're focusing on the wrong area.  Don't think about what the site is doing.  It does not matter.  What is the end user's device doing and what is interacting with it.  That's where your problem is at and that is the only spot you're really going to solve it.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

On 1/3/2024 at 9:07 AM, Rich N said:

but for uploading in to a post it gets washed. 

Can you articulate on what you mean by the image gets 'washed'?  Like, a color photo becomes black and white?  A color photo loses its color saturation and becomes duller? Can he capture a screenshot of the upload process where the photo becomes washed?   

Have you tested on other file types, such as PDF, TXT, JPG, PNG, or ZIP to see if any other abnormal behaviors exist in his upload?  

On 1/5/2024 at 12:06 AM, Joel R said:

Can you articulate on what you mean by the image gets 'washed'?  Like, a color photo becomes black and white?  A color photo loses its color saturation and becomes duller? Can he capture a screenshot of the upload process where the photo becomes washed?   

Have you tested on other file types, such as PDF, TXT, JPG, PNG, or ZIP to see if any other abnormal behaviors exist in his upload?  

Saturation loss, Image is dull. 

The image appears washed as soon as they add to post, with out submitting. Example, if I were to just drop an image on the upload area you can see its washed out immediately. 

He is just uploading to gallery then linking to it in post as a work around. 🤷‍♂️