Reduce the time of cached pages for guests

marklcfc

As mentioned in this topic below, guests are seeing pages too much out of date. It may be fine for not very active forums but for busy forums, and especially those during a live event it has a negative effect for guests to see posts that are not in line with the live event - upto 15 minutes behind. And revisiting makes no difference, the posts don't get updated. This is why I always set guest page cache to 30 seconds, but now with that gone I have made similar changes to Cloudflare. Please do the same or give those using Cloud an option. It's one of two issues I have left with it, if this can be sorted I would be very close to joining.

Edited by marklcfc

• Management

For caching to be effective, it needs to be more a long enough period of time to make it worth storing, but short enough that content is updated regularly.

A 30 second cache will increase overhead but for very little benefit. We have found that the 15 minute cache is the best balance between overhead and usefulness. We have "realtime" activity for cloud customers so you can always see who is active in a topic regardless of caching and when members log in, they are served live pages, not the cached ones.

15 minute cache is unacceptable, if someone wants to read the latest posts of a live event (a football match) at say the 31st minute, a goal is scored or conceded, they want to read the comments. The arrive on the forum and see a load of comments unrelated to the goal on the latest page, as its 10 minutes behind. This causes frustration amongst viewers.

33 minutes ago, Charles said:

Nothing is cached for members. Caching is only for guests/search bots.

I know, my issue is I regularly get 500+ guests on my site during the live events and they won't be seeing the posts they want to see (if moving to Cloud hosting)

17 hours ago, Charles said:

Nothing is cached for members. Caching is only for guests/search bots.

Having spoken with Mark privately as we run similar forums (both Football, not Soccer, Football!), he is speaking about guests viewing the forum not members.

On his setup, only guests are shown ads, his concern is that if guests are not shown up to date posts say during the game they will choose to follow the game elsewhere, say X for example.

This would obviously have a negative impact on his ad revenue which pays the bills.

I do share his concern somewhat and would be nice to reduce the time, I personally ran with 5 minutes when using Cloudflare on a Self Host setup prior to moving to IPS Cloud.

For me this was a nice balance between not annoying guests too much whilst encouraging them to also signup and login.

I guess the feedback here would be, it would be nice to control the cache time per site if possible rather than a blanket uncontrollable 15 minutes which maybe fine for say a gaming forum, just not for one that has live events.