Missing quote links for certain members

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

One or two of my community members have reported that they cannot access the multi quote and quote buttons at the bottom of a content post (Pages record comment, topic post). I’m talking about this (circled):

Could contain: Cutlery, Spoon, Text

I checked the user’s group and the group’s settings and permissions and nothing seems out of place. Other members in the same usergroup can see and use the buttons no problem. And I haven’t touched the theme templates for this area of the community so it can’t be a theme issue.

I can share the user ID having the issue if needed for troubleshooting further, but I’m just wondering if there is some esoteric setting or function that has somehow been activated (either on admin side or user side) that I might be missing here?

Thanks @Jim M - I deactivated all but the core apps (deactivated all plugins too) and logged in as the affected user while using the default (unmodified) IPS theme... they still don't have the Quote options available to them.

Could contain: Page, Text, File

^ This is what they see under a comment under CMS/Pages record

Could contain: Purple, File

^ This is what the see under a post in a topic

Affected user IDs on my community (that have reported this) are 19145 and 47973. They say it's happening to them on Desktop/Firefox (19145) and Mobile/Chrome (47973) but I was able to verify those Quote options were missing after logging in as each of them (via AdminCP) on Desktop/MacOS/Safari too.

28 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Something there is stopping me from logging in as users. Is this something on the account provided? I would need to be able to do this in order to check the issue

Hi Marc, I’m not aware of any setting that can remove/restore the ability for admins to log in as users, I haven’t done anything to the Admin account provided in my Client Area settings… should I provide my own login credentials so you have a means to access, or shall I try deactivating plugins to see if that might be causing the problem?

21 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If you are happy to provide yours and know that works, then feel free to do that.

I will need to disable all 3rd party myself for a few minutes while I am testing

No problem. I realise I have 2FA on my admin account, so I decided to double check the credentials of the account I already provided and it seems like I can sign in as other members okay (FWIW, I did also have a problem at first but realised that my AdminCP sign-in was still set to my own admin account even though I was signed in as the Support-provided admin on the front-end, once I signed out of AdminCP and re-signed in as the Support admin I was able to sign in as other members).

Can you try again with the Support-provided admin credentials please and let me know? I've logged out entirely on my community just in case that was causing the issue for you.

Hi Marc, sure thing - for that particular user:

Pages Record: https://www.sonicstadium.org/news/media/sonic-friends-is-a-new-animated-series-heres-the-official-reveal-teaser-r1397/

Forum Topic: https://www.sonicstadium.org/forums/topic/32747-sonic-friends-is-a-new-animated-series-heres-the-official-reveal-teaser/

^ if you go to comments at the bottom of the Page Record, or under any post in the Topic, check any post and the Multiquote and Quote links are missing (but Reactions are still present)

----

However that user does have quote options available in the following Topic (in the same forum): https://www.sonicstadium.org/forums/topic/32737-idw-sonic-halloween-special-cover-a-b/

And this Pages record (same database): https://www.sonicstadium.org/news/comics/new-covers-for-idws-sonic-halloween-special-2023-revealed-r1396/

Edited by Dreadknux

I'm confused, why would they have permission to reply to some records/topics but not others? I don't think I set any restrictions on those users (or any usergroups) for posting replies in those forums/databases either?

OK I think I see what I've done here. I set the News forum to require 50 posts of content to be posted before being allowed to post topics and replies (or in the case of 47973, just reply to topics due to usergroup restrictions). But they were still able to post comments in a sync'd Pages record, so they'd be able to post through Pages but just not quote anyone.

What's weird though is that for the user 47973 there does not appear to be any messaging telling them they do not have permission to post a reply? Normally there is something telling a user they don't have access, right? On the affected topics, the post area at the bottom of the topic page is just gone, there's no permissions message. Maybe that's something to add in a future update?