Suggestion: Include more information when error during upgrade occurs.

Wolfie

Seeing an error during the upgrade process can be frustrating enough.  But not knowing what part of the process the upgrade is at makes it even more so.  Therefore, when an error happens, the app and upgrade file in use when the error happened should be shown.  Not only provides more information to the administrator performing the upgrade, but it's more information that can be provided when they are seeking assistance.

While I agree, and we do where we can, these are generally unexpected by definition. So at times it simply wont be possible because of where its broken. Of course its always something that can be improved on, so do fully appreciate the suggestion. Just wanted to make you aware of the possible reasons at times

If I'm not mistaken, the upgrade process loops through the apps, then within the apps it looks through the individual steps for that app.  So when showing the friendly error (still scary looking but MUCH better than a white page with an error), those two items could be made available.  That's mostly what I'm referring to.  Considering all the different things that happen during an upgrade, it'd be unreasonable to expect specific variables to be displayed based on when an issue arises, though an option to do an export of all variables (only if it can be done to the database for security reasons) wouldn't be a bad thing.  But I imagine that would rarely serve any real purpose, so yeah, mostly just the app and step that it's on.

Any errors that occur during the upgrade are logged to the database (if possible, otherwise they're saved as a file in /uploads/logs).

If you're getting a blank white page, that's typically a fatal PHP error that the software cannot do anything about or log what's happening. You would need to look at your PHP log for those.

On 6/19/2023 at 7:08 AM, Stuart Silvester said:

If you're getting a blank white page, that's typically a fatal PHP error that the software cannot do anything about or log what's happening. You would need to look at your PHP log for those.

I'm not talking about a white page.  More of the errors that are already presented, but will a tad more information.  App and upgrade step number would do it as it gives the user something extra to include and others may be able to help easier (other IPS clients).