Not getting email notifications of forum posts

Marc Stridgen
This post was recognized by Marc Stridgen!

Randy Calvert was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 5 points.

First... are you still following the content you are wanting to get notifications for?

If so... have you checked to make sure your see if your settings are still configured to notify you via email?  (Click on the bell and then "Notification Settings".)

If those are all working...  are you receiving ANY email from your site?  Test by going to ACP > System > Settings > Email Settings > Test Settings

If you are not getting the test email, it means IPB has sent the mail, but your outbound mail server was not able to deliver it to you.  Should that be the case, it may be a SPF/DKIM setup issue.  

But let's start with those and see how far we get.  🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 3:30 PM, Randy Calvert said:

First... are you still following the content you are wanting to get notifications for?

If so... have you checked to make sure your see if your settings are still configured to notify you via email?  (Click on the bell and then "Notification Settings".)

If those are all working...  are you receiving ANY email from your site?  Test by going to ACP > System > Settings > Email Settings > Test Settings

If you are not getting the test email, it means IPB has sent the mail, but your outbound mail server was not able to deliver it to you.  Should that be the case, it may be a SPF/DKIM setup issue.  

Thanks, Randy.

I am following the topics and I am set for email notifications.

However, when sending a test email as you instructed, I didn't receive it.

So it seems it's an SPF/DKIM setup issue.

Having said that I also didn't get an email when you replied to my topic here.

On 6/13/2023 at 3:50 PM, Marc Stridgen said:

It would also be worth checking in System->Settings->Emails and clicking to see the error logs in the top right. Here you will see if there are any errors sending to yourself

There are no errors in the logs.

Edited by Russell Clamp

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If you are not getting emails from multiple different sources, its very likely the email receiver rather than sender. I would suggest checking spam folders, and even checking with your email provider first of all

Yeah the spam folder was the first place I checked 🙂

My email provider is Google and I've not had any issues getting any other emails that I know about.

Probably best for me to check the SPF/DKIM setup. How would I go about that?

In addition to me not getting emails from my forum, I've just found out my JV partner is not getting them from my forum either. She's an instructor in there and is also following multiple threads.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar problem so I searched and found this thread... My email setup is to have my hosting service (Dreamhost) SMTP send email. (I tried the PHP setup and got some sporadic responses for "followed" content but none of the "contact us" links would send any mail. I've checked the logs and they show no failures and checking the dreamhost account there are no returns/unables. But (1) Tetst email works from ACP and "Contact Us" solidly works.

Double checked for followed content and checked with other users and they are not getting followed emails either.

Still set to "A notification when new content is posted" --->Email

Received test email OK

I have to think its just a notification/email setting since the other emails (test/contact) are going out ok... but I don't know the code.

Any help appreciated

13 hours ago, galenb said:

I'm having a similar problem so I searched and found this thread... My email setup is to have my hosting service (Dreamhost) SMTP send email. (I tried the PHP setup and got some sporadic responses for "followed" content but none of the "contact us" links would send any mail. I've checked the logs and they show no failures and checking the dreamhost account there are no returns/unables. But (1) Tetst email works from ACP and "Contact Us" solidly works.

Double checked for followed content and checked with other users and they are not getting followed emails either.

Still set to "A notification when new content is posted" --->Email

Received test email OK

I have to think its just a notification/email setting since the other emails (test/contact) are going out ok... but I don't know the code.

Any help appreciated

Just to confirm the one other thing which may be impacting you, are you online when the content is posted that you're expecting the email notification for? This would not send if you're online.

Do you have any modified email templates? If so, I would suggest reverting those to see if it's related here. Can also check the system log in ACP -> Support to see if there are any errors prior to sending the follow notification.

5 hours ago, Jim M said:

Just to confirm the one other thing which may be impacting you, are you online when the content is posted that you're expecting the email notification for? This would not send if you're online.

Do you have any modified email templates? If so, I would suggest reverting those to see if it's related here. Can also check the system log in ACP -> Support to see if there are any errors prior to sending the follow notification.

No modified email templates.

But

Even though I was updating a topic using Chrome where I was not logged into a google account (guest only)... my Firefox on a different physical computer was logged in to my primary site. I have notifications turned off and emails turned on for my account... so I don't get a notification Could contain: Lighting, Architecture, Bell Tower, Building, Tower or "bloop bloop" sound. My most current test did see an email come through. I'll check with the other users that noted it as a defect, but I suspect it's functioning correctly.  Thanks again!

Edited by galenb