Latest Activity

We have this problem in our latest activity, wherein some were missing

For example the screenshot below shows Feb 10 to Feb 21, but between that date there should be like more activity data shows, any idea ?
Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

-Allan of Nigel's Team

Edited by Nigel Moore
add my name

Every day we have approx. 100-300 new threads / replies to existing threads (posts) happen inside the Community. 

A few hours ago we noticed the Latest Activity feed was missing all but the most recent few posts (from the last 10-15 minutes) and there were then no new posts showing in the Activity Feed right back to about February 10th when it started showing posts again. 

(there has been something like 2,000 - 3,000 posts during that time)

Weirdly enough (as you can see in the screenshot), the only entries that are showing in the Latest Activity view during that 1.5 month window are entries where people have RSVP'd for events on our Events Calendar and have Bookmarked Threads. 

No other activity (aka, those 2k-3k posts) is showing up in the feed apart from the last 1-2 hours of recent posts.

Could this be something to do with Redis that we configured in IPB this year?

(we did restart the VPS earlier today for something else and it's as if something like a cache has been reset has lost a bunch of the data in the cache)

I just noticed, on my forum, the CONDENSED activity only shows the last post in that Topic, no other posts before that.

The EXPANDED shows both the latest POSTS & TOPICS  (with posts before included).

It really shouldn't be that way,  when you are looking for ALL activity.

The default is the CONDENSED.

14 minutes ago, GoDuBois said:

I just noticed, on my forum, the CONDENSED activity only shows the last post in that Topic, no other posts before that.

This is true as it is a condensed manner of seeing items 🙂 .

14 minutes ago, GoDuBois said:

The default is the CONDENSED.

This is not true. The default view is expanded for all activity streams (apart from custom streams as you can change the default behavior). Please ensure that you have not changed it to condensed previously as it will remember your choice 😉 .

21 minutes ago, Jim M said:

This is true as it is a condensed manner of seeing items 🙂 .

This is not true. The default view is expanded for all activity streams (apart from custom streams as you can change the default behavior). Please ensure that you have not changed it to condensed previously as it will remember your choice 😉 .

Okay, i get that, but what about the difference between the condensed and expanded?  >>> Did you notice that they are different posts. The expanded should just show more info and text than the condensed. The condensed is not showing all of the posts in a topic, its just showing the last one, ... on my forum.

1 minute ago, GoDuBois said:

Okay, i get that, but what about the difference between the condensed and expanded?  >>> Did you notice that they are different posts. The expanded should just show more info and text than the condensed. The condensed is not showing all of the posts in a topic, its just showing the last one, ... on my forum.

Correct, that is intended. You can certainly provide your suggestion in our Feedback forum if you want that changed.

8 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You could rebuild the search index to see if that resolves the issue as a first call. If that then doesnt resolve the issue, please let  us know and ensure your access details are up to date

Thanks, so far it's looking like the Redis caching was the issue. Our internal team is doing some more checking to confirm and then we need to work out what we can do to avoid it from ever happening again. 

@Marc Stridgen & @Jim M - just as an update, it did end up being Redis caching and the problem apparently was because of having both our staging site and our public site both being on the same server and apparently IPB got confused somehow. 

Our infrastructure guy said this same issue will likely happen to everyone else who sets up the Redis feature and has their staging & public sites on the same server, so he was going to send me a deeper explanation so I could send it over to you for consideration in rolling out a fix or update or addition to the setup Docs. 

Edited by Nigel Moore

Thanks @Marc Stridgen - I'm not 100% sure there, however our infrastructure guy came back and said that the problem may have actually been caused by another server side tool we had recently loaded (X-Debug) that was causing a bunch of other things as well, so it might not have been Redis after all. 

Thanks for your input on this one.