Cannot upgrade from 4.5

We are on a severally outdated version of 4.5 and when i go to upgrade i get This Database message

UPDATE `core_output_cache` SET `cache_expire`=0 WHERE `cache_expire` IS NULL;
ALTER TABLE `core_output_cache` DROP INDEX `cache_expire`, CHANGE COLUMN `cache_expire` `cache_expire` INT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'Unix timestamp of when the cache expires', ADD KEY `cache_expire` (`cache_expire`);

I tried fixing automatically and manually running the queries in PHP my admin  and nothing lets me get past this point 

1 hour ago, MissNyx said:

I tried fixing automatically and manually running the queries in PHP my admin  and nothing lets me get past this point 

Were the queries run successfully? 

39 minutes ago, MissNyx said:

And now since trying to resolve the database issues we now have a 500 error on the forum 

Can you check the server error log and post here the most recent messages logged in there?

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out the calendar was causing the issue since we upgraded PHP -- I disabled the calendar and now our forum is back -- However, when we attempt to upgrade we get stuck at the following:

There are some problems with your database. Normally it is safe to try to fix these problems automatically however if your community is large, you may want to run the necessary queries manually. If so, the queries to run are:

UPDATE `core_output_cache` SET `cache_expire`=0 WHERE `cache_expire` IS NULL;
ALTER TABLE `core_output_cache` DROP INDEX `cache_expire`, CHANGE COLUMN `cache_expire` `cache_expire` INT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'Unix timestamp of when the cache expires', ADD KEY `cache_expire` (`cache_expire`);

I have attempted both the Fix Automatically and Trying to run the Query in PhoMyAdmin with no luck of advancing past this stage -- I just get what i put below -- I am not great with this stuff so any help would be great!

dot.gif 0 rows affected. (Query took 0.0006 seconds.)
UPDATE `core_output_cache` SET `cache_expire`=0 WHERE `cache_expire` IS NULL
  [Edit inline] [ Edit ] [ Create PHP code ]
dot.gif MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows). (Query took 0.0067 seconds.)
ALTER TABLE `core_output_cache` DROP INDEX `cache_expire`, CHANGE COLUMN `cache_expire` `cache_expire` INT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'Unix timestamp of when the cache expires', ADD KEY `cache_expire` (`cache_expire`)

4 hours ago, Jim M said:

Depending on the version you're on, you may be encountering an error in the upgrade process and a manual upgrade may be required.

Hi Jim --

I tinkered around and figured it out - Not even 100% sure what worked but we did get upgraded today to the latest release 

So I admin'd a forum a few years back and turned it over to someone show hasn't touched it and it's on 4.4.9.2. and now they want me to update it. (ugh). I'm an embedded software engineer so webby stuff is just a hobby at best. So when I say dumb stuff please point it out.

The forum software was throwing some errors. I deleted all but the Default theme and that seems to have cleared that up. The only functions used are Forums and Calendar by this group (small group), no plugins etc.

I clicked the automatic update button on the admincp and get

1C287/2 You are running PHP version 7.4.30. You need PHP 8.0.0 or above. You should contact your hosting provider or system administrator to ask for an upgrade.

The hosting company (Dreamhost) allows you to switch PHP version for the site so I switched to 8.0 FASTCGI from 7.4FASTCGI

Went back to the admincp and clicked the button again and just got a blank page. I hit the PHPINFO.PHP file and got 8.0.2.2 or something like that.

I tried several iterations of this activity switching PHP versions and actually got to where the update from admincp prompted me with a giant SQL script. I said yes to the prompt and it blew up halfway through. I don't know what on.

Spent a day looking at things and deleting themes and got a workable php 7.4 IPB 4.4.9.2 site up and running with a default theme.

So now after reading and reading the forum... looks like a manual update. Downloaded "the package" read about how to copy up the files to the host (pressing yes to replace ...scary.) I vaguely remember doing that years ago for everything.

I also downloaded the compatibility checker ... it reported the PHP version (I know how to fix that) and GMP PHP which it says is not necessary except for push notifications.

I put my DB credentials in the PHP for $INFO and still couldn't connect but it looks like it just checks for MySQL version and the hosting service is running version 8x of Ubuntu something but I'm worried about the db schema being alright and if the compatibility checker can't get to the DB what makes me think the update code/procedure would be able to. 

Anyway... questions???

(1) I don't have a test site. There never was one... Is it really worth it to build all that up from scratch?

(2) If I decide to just run the upgrade, should I update to php 8 before doing that?

(3) Anyone have this experience with suggestions?

1 hour ago, galenb said:

(1) I don't have a test site. There never was one... Is it really worth it to build all that up from scratch?

Doing significant upgrades like 4.4 to latest, I would advise doing so as you can learn and know what may be an issue before doing your live instance.

1 hour ago, galenb said:

(2) If I decide to just run the upgrade, should I update to php 8 before doing that?

PHP 8 would be required for upgrading to the latest release. You will want to ensure you run the compatibility checker after you upgrade to PHP 8 and before you run the upgrader. This way you catch anything on your server before running the upgrader.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Doing significant upgrades like 4.4 to latest, I would advise doing so as you can learn and know what may be an issue before doing your live instance.

PHP 8 would be required for upgrading to the latest release. You will want to ensure you run the compatibility checker after you upgrade to PHP 8 and before you run the upgrader. This way you catch anything on your server before running the upgrader.

Ok... that's gonna take me a little while... get back here in a while.

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

Hey forgot to say thanks for the help!!!