429 Too Many Requests

2 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Do you have something that is redirecting you from HTTP to HTTPS?  When I see that come up, typically it's related to the user having HTTP specified in their conf_global.php for their board URL when there is something else trying to direct them to the HTTPS version.  

I have a SSL installed in cPanel. My base url in that file starts https as well

Edited by TheSaint

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If your hosting is showing too many requests, you really would need to contact your hosting company on the issue, to be honest, as they would need to increase this if its not coping with your sites traffic

I explained that and they said they cant do anything that its something in the script. (i highly doubt at that tho)

I am wondering if it is a plugin causing it

Is it when you try and access the AdminCP whatsoever, or after you sign-in to the AdminCP?

If you press SHIFT+CTRL+I and navigate to the network tab when trying to load the page again, do you see it cycling between the same two pages repeatedly? (Don't post your full Admin URL here, but do you see it trying to switch between http and https, or is it trying to navigate to one page and back to another?)

Edited by Makoto

2 minutes ago, Makoto said:

Is it when you try and access the AdminCP whatsoever, or after you sign-in to the AdminCP?

If you press SHIFT+CTRL+I and navigate to the network tab when trying to load the page again, which pages do you see it cycling between? (Don't post your full Admin URL here, but do you see it trying to switch between http and https, or is it trying to navigate to one page and back to another?)

I did that but not sure what i am seeing. i did notice when I disabled all my mods it stopped. So I think its one of them.

Hi, 

It's not the script or any part of the script that throws a 429 error. Take a look at the server log in your Cpanel, you will see that nothing on your behalf is near overloading the server. 

It is most likely than not that your hosting provider uses a proxy - resulting you getting ratelimited - get them to whitelist your IP address.

NB! IF you don't got any static IP from your ISP (just a dynamic one) and they whitelist your IP -AND- at somepoint you get a new IP you will get the same 429 error all over again.  

You should also considder:
- change the current admin URL, to avoid being rate limited.
- get a static IP from your ISP or use a VPN service 
- upgrade to VPS  to have no restrictions.

Edited by Cyberg Studio AS
Info Update

4 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I did that but not sure what i am seeing. i did notice when I disabled all my mods it stopped. So I think its one of them.

It is definitely the result of a third-party application then, yes.

The developer console is a bit intimidating, but you should see something like this. If you click the "doc" button outlined, it will filter everything out to just page requests,

Could contain: Page, Text

From there, you can click on an entry and find the page it is trying to request,

Could contain: Page, Text, File

Again, don't post the full URL or screenshot here, but you could use this to help identify if it's trying to redirect you to a specific application or plugins page.

Alternatively, you can re-enable your plugins and applications one by one and see which one ends up causing the issue that way.

49 minutes ago, Cyberg Studio AS said:

Hi, 

It's not the script or any part of the script that throws a 429 error. Take a look at the server log in your Cpanel, you will see that nothing on your behalf is near overloading the server. 

It is most likely than not that your hosting provider uses a proxy - resulting you getting ratelimited - get them to whitelist your IP address.

NB! IF you don't got any static IP from your ISP (just a dynamic one) and they whitelist your IP -AND- at somepoint you get a new IP you will get the same 429 error all over again.  

You should also considder:
- change the current admin URL, to avoid being rate limited.
- get a static IP from your ISP or use a VPN service 
- upgrade to VPS  to have no restrictions.

It is definitely a Mod. I disabled them all and I have yet to have the issue. So now I gotta figure which one caused it

@Makoto I don't have doc. Not sure Firefox has that

Ah, sorry, it's the "HTML" button on Firefox, otherwise it's mostly the same process.

Could contain: Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

The bit on the right where it shows "GET" and then the URL is what you want to look for.

If you're getting a redirect loop, you'll see the network tab get spammed quickly with requests for the same couple pages back and forth. If it's a plugin or application, it could give you a hint as to what application is doing it, and might help us narrow down what exactly is going wrong.

It might not though. Applications trying to manage redirects and such in the ACP isn't common and I don't know of any off the top of my head that do this. Re-enabling them one by one might be an easier way to identify which one is doing it.

Edited by Makoto

What you and Makoto describes is exactely what a 429 error means and what a proxy does when it ratelimit's your IP. It's all about you triggering the Proxys "Maximum Connections". I would have asked the hosting provider to whitelist the IP and then go bug-hunting. 

Edited by Cyberg Studio AS

Just now, Cyberg Studio AS said:

What you and Makato describes is exactely that a 429 error means and what a proxy does when it ratelimit's your IP. It's all about you triggering the Proxys "Maximum Connections". I would have asked the hosting provider to whitelist the IP and then go bug-hunting. 

Rate limits can be triggered by bugs in an application which cause redirect loops. Your browser terminates these at around 10 requests or so, but a web server can terminate it before it reaches that point with a 429.

44 minutes ago, Makoto said:

Ah, sorry, it's the "HTML" button on Firefox, otherwise it's mostly the same process.

Could contain: Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

The bit on the right where it shows "GET" and then the URL is what you want to look for.

If you're getting a redirect loop, you'll see the network tab get spammed quickly with requests for the same couple pages back and forth. If it's a plugin or application, it could give you a hint as to what application is doing it, and might help us narrow down what exactly is going wrong.

It might not though. Applications trying to manage redirects and such in the ACP isn't common and I don't know of any off the top of my head that do this. Re-enabling them one by one might be an easier way to identify which one is doing it.

I see. One points to my admin folder which gives a 200 status and a favicon gives 404