I try to update my version to laters one but getting error

VladMal
Go to solution Solved by Marc,

When I try to update my version to laters one but getting error:

-------------
1C287/2 You are running PHP version 7.4.28. You need PHP 8.0.0 or above. You should contact your hosting provider or system administrator to ask for an upgrade.
-------------

When I switch php to version 8 - your forum returns 500 internal server error.

So it is a circle - I can't update to new version as I do not have php 8, on other hand I can't set up php 8 as current forum version doe not support php 8. I found no way to update from command line....

How can I resolve this.

P.S. Current version is: v4.3.5

1 minute ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You would need to run the upgrader manually. So you would need to 

1. Upload a fresh set of files from your client area
  2. Switch to PHP 8
  3. Check the requirement checker to ensure you meet minimum requirements 
    https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7046-invision-community-requirements-checker/
  4. Run the upgrader from /admin/upgrade

Thank you!  but I have a couple of questions: (1) where I can get those files? In backend I have only update to latest version button, that's it. (2) I have 350000 + users and 1000000+ posts. This manual update will not brake all that?

Our company purchased other coumpany who use this tpe of forum. So I know NOTHING about it, but this forum is quite active and has long history (previous owner not updated it for really long time)....

@VladMal It wouldn't break anything, but also make sure that you disable all third-party apps and plugins because some of them will not be compatible with PHP 8.0 and would cause the 500 error. After you successfully update make sure you update all third-party apps and plugin to the latest version before enabling them back.

Edited by Afrodude

Gentlemen, I'm really sorry to ask may be silly questions, but is anyone has an idea what is init_extern.php file is? It was in old version and allows to call memebr data including creating/login, etc. Accordingly to what this file has in the header :

* @copyright<->(c) Invision Power Services, Inc.

It was a part of the system.

What is not part of the system any more (or shall to be changed to somthing else). Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

init_extern.php is not a file in our core software. 

@Jim M Thank you. I have found out what is that. Previous developer simply copied init.php and made few changes. This why this file has such header and this why it is not updated. My developers fixed this issue! Thank you for support.

Indeed, they should never be changing any core files. It should only be done via the plugin system, or by constant. It does need to be noted, we wouldnt support a site where the core files are edited, and it will indeed cause you issues at some point if you do