Blog permissions

Rulex

Could contain: Text, Electronics, Computer Hardware, Hardware
Hi all,

we were trying to create a category inside "blogs" and we want to make it visible and accessible only to some groups... 
In AdminCP we didn't find how to set permissions to a blog category. 
Hiding the category does not prevent to access to it because if you have the link of the category, you will be able to access to the category itself.
Also, the System->Site Features->Applications-> Blogs->Permissions is not helping us to set the permission on only one single category (but for all the category).
We noticed that we have the chance to set the visibility for users but not groups, this is not helpful... it is not convenient inserting every single member for every single category and every time a new user joins the community.

There is a way to set a permission on a single category to a selected group (e.g. members, administrators, etc.)?

Thank you in advance

Edited by Rulex
the image is bugged

Hi Mark,

do you think that in future there will be the chance to see this feature implemented? It would be extremely useful.
Such as you can decide if a user is able to see a subforum inside a Forums, this should work similar also for Blogs and blog category.
Also having the ability to select groups rather than individual members would be enough (Inside the option "Members allowed to read this blog")

Thanks again for your reply and your effort!

Edited by Rulex

I am unable to say whether or not a feature would be implemented unfortunately. We Would not generally state unless we are ready for something to go out, and we would then blog on the new features. What I can say however, is add this to the suggestions area. Without the suggestions it may never be changed.

Have you perhaps thought of using pages as an alternative? 

Hi Marc, 

we will put it in the suggestion area then. 
We already tried to use pages in past but since blog feature exists, we would use it.
In a page we can't create blogs, we can just post links to external third part website.

If there is a way that we are missing, please let us know. 

• 9 months later...

I'd like to add to this topic and formally request some additional permission features for the Blog app as currently it's severely lacking.

I am already using Pages for a staff-operated news blog, but I want to offer my community the opportunity to create their own blogs using a simplistic and approachable format - so the Blog app is perfect for what I want here.

However, while I can create Blog categories from the AdminCP, it seems that I can't set Category permissions much like I can with Forums, Galleries etc (i.e. usergroup can "Create Blog" in this category, "Comment" on blogs in this category, etc).

I want to be able to only allow regular members to create a blog in a specific Blog Category area, while I want to reserve the ability to create blogs in some other Categories (i.e. "Staff Blogs") to only certain usergroups.

Hopefully this will be addressed, and the Blog app much more fleshed out in general, with the arrival of V5. 🙂

EDIT: I just realised this isn't in the Feature Request forum, d'oh! That's what I get for finding this topic via Google Search. Would appreciate if this topic is moved (or I can create a new topic in the Feature Request forum)

Edited by Dreadknux

Just now, Dreadknux said:

I'd like to add to this topic and formally request some additional permission features for the Blog app as currently it's severely lacking.

For feature requests, please create a topic in our Feedback forum. This forum is more for general questions and feature suggestions will be overlooked.