There seems to be some kind of corruption going on at the moment. As far as I can tell it's only affecting one person, maybe it's the image, or maybe it's something else, I don't know. I was wondering if anyone else had come across this; or might know what's going on. I'm not saying it's specifically an IPS bug, because I just straight up don't know.

The original image she is trying to upload as her avatar is:
Could contain: Dragon

However on the first attempt; it showed (And stored on the server) as this:
Could contain: Linen, Home Decor, Texture, Woven

On the second attempt it showed and was stored on the server as this:
Could contain: Texture, Linen, Home Decor, Canvas, Pattern

Kind of at a loss here. Any help?

Can you share what image processor you are using on your server? Is it GD, or Imagick?

You should be able to simply search for "image" or "Imagick" in your ACP to verify this.

Does this also happen when uploading this image as an attachment in a comment or post on your server or only when being used as an avatar?

Very good questions Makoto.

6 hours ago, Makoto said:

Does this also happen when uploading this image as an attachment in a comment or post on your server or only when being used as an avatar?

No. Only when it's being used as an avatar. Attachment to post worked for the person in question.

6 hours ago, Makoto said:

You should be able to simply search for "image" or "Imagick" in your ACP to verify this.

This is a fundamental thing I should have said from the offset and I can only apologise for not disclosing in the original post. I use GD. ImageMagick is greyed out.

You would want to work with your hosting provider to figure out what is happening here. There is something happening upon processing the image on your server causing the corruption. For what it's worth, I uploaded the image provided with GD to my test instance and had no issues.

7 hours ago, Jim M said:

You would want to work with your hosting provider to figure out what is happening here. There is something happening upon processing the image on your server causing the corruption. For what it's worth, I uploaded the image provided with GD to my test instance and had no issues.

That's the thing though; I can upload this as an avatar too, so this isn't it. 

This is increasingly starting to sound like a problem with their computer setup, perhaps a browser or possibly an extension that's somehow interfering with it. 

Edited by Tripp★

I could no longer edit my post to add:

I was trying to be very careful with my wording here; I wasn't pointing the finger at Invision and in fact I didn't believe it was an Invision fault to begin with. I am looking at a conversation with other site owners who may have encountered this problem so I can provide meaningful tech support to my users. You know, so that I - and hopefully community leaders in a similar boat - can give better support and advice to their members who are potentially getting this problem.

If I am pointing fingers, it would be at users browser: As far as I can tell this particular user is using a fork of Firefox called "LibreWolf" and I think I remember them having troubles with the TOR browser as well. I think there maybe a setting within that browser that is causing the issue. Does this help move the conversation away from "LOL-your-server-sucks" and "Uhmuhgerd-it's-Invisions-fault"? Because I really don't think it's either, to be honest.

Edited by Tripp★

On 1/7/2023 at 9:24 PM, Stuart Silvester said:

The upload will resize the image in the end-users browser before uploading it, I would also suspect this issue is coming from their computer.

It's likely that the image doesn't need to be resized to fit within your attachment limitations, but it does to fit within the avatar size limitations.

Exactly.

I have done more testing and it seems that this is repeatable on LibreWolf and the TOR Browser. I suspect it's got something to do with the fact that there are strict controls enabled, surrounding HTML5 Canvas or something.

T'was a browser issue all along.

Edited by Tripp★