InnoDB and Compact

I keep reading I shouldn't have compact set for innodb row format. But the only options I can see are Compact or Redundant.

All my tables show like this but I've received no warnings about it in the software. Is this not how it should be though?

Could contain: Page, Text, File

Edited by marklcfc

COMPACT format has a reduced length for indexes in tables compared to DYNAMIC. If you're not seeing the option in that list you need to contact your hosting about enabling it.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/innodb-row-format.html

The DYNAMIC row format offers the same storage characteristics as the COMPACT row format but adds enhanced storage capabilities for long variable-length columns and supports large index key prefixes.

The Barracuda file format supports the DYNAMIC row format.

Edited by teraßyte

Each innodb table within the database would need that setting changed, there's no function to change them all at once.

This process is something you would need to ask your host to assist in doing, since the DYNAMIC option is not appearing to you.

2 hours ago, Mark H said:

Each innodb table within the database would need that setting changed, there's no function to change them all at once.

This process is something you would need to ask your host to assist in doing, since the DYNAMIC option is not appearing to you.

Do I need it to be Dynamic? I've not had any issues

I've checked with my hosts and I'm apparently using Dynamic already, it's just not showing in phpmyadmin as I'm on an older version of Ubuntu. Should I upgrade from 18 to 20 ubuntu? I don't know whether it's needed.

Edited by marklcfc