Super obvious way for members to find their posts

David N.

I recently read a case study over on the admin zone where they studied how forums were used and one of the major points that came out were:

1. Most people googled something, came to a single page, either found their answer or didn't, and left never to come back again. 
  2. For the few who sign up and ask a question or reply to a topic, when (and if) they decide to come back and see if there was an answer, most of them have the hardest time trying to find what they posted. 

I suggest adding a super obvious easy way for anyone to find their posts. Either a big green "Find my posts" button, or a less conspicuous "MY POSTS" link in the member pop-up menu like this: 

Could contain: File, Text

Thanks, opentype.

In our community, I'm fairly sure that most users don't look at the activity streams, even if I did add a link there. You know how most users are, they're in a hurry, they want to find what they need very quickly without having to think. 

Maybe I should create a custom stream made from content the user either started or posted in, and create the button myself? 

Just now, opentype said:

(Not sure why it should go in the user menu though.)

As a user, that's where I would expect to see it. I mean I can access my profile, my attachments (which I never need to access in my case), it would make sense to me that I could access my posts from that same menu. 

44 minutes ago, Jamynee said:

Maybe I should create a custom stream made from content the user either started or posted in, and create the button myself? 

You don’t even need to do that. There are already feeds for “content I started” and “content I posted in”. You just need to link them in your menu. 

2 minutes ago, opentype said:

There are already feeds for “content I started” and “content I posted in”. You just need to link them in your menu. 

Yes, but I'm looking for one single link that would be for both content started and posted by the user. Some users don't even know if they started a new topic or replied to an existing one, they just want to have a list of everything they wrote no the forum. 

Its worth mentioning also, that if you wanted to be really creative about it, you could create a stream, add a link to it on the menu, but only allow it to a set group. Have a group that has posted say 5 or less items that it shows to, and nobody else. This way you end up in a situation whereby you gain the members you wish to help find their content, while removing the clutter for people who already know how

Just now, opentype said:

The “Content I posted in” does that. 

Great! Thanks, I did not know that. 😄

9 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Its worth mentioning also, that if you wanted to be really creative about it, you could create a stream, add a link to it on the menu, but only allow it to a set group. Have a group that has posted say 5 or less items that it shows to, and nobody else. This way you end up in a situation whereby you gain the members you wish to help find their content, while removing the clutter for people who already know how

Very good idea, thanks a lot! 😄

15 hours ago, opentype said:

(Not sure why it should go in the user menu though.)

Another reason is that menu is available site wide whereas the activity streams aren't. Of course I could make the "Forums" link in the main navigation a pop-up menu with choices.... but I feel that the user menu would be the right place to find the user posts. 

I always put the Activity Feed section in the main navigation bar or even make it the homepage. It’s what I want to be the main entry point for regular members. 

I then put a “my content” link in the secondary navigation bar. As a result, it will be directly visible when visiting the website and with that, it’s even more visible than when it would be in the user menu. 

Edited by opentype

Just now, opentype said:

I always put the Activity Feed section in the main navigation bar or even make it the homepage. It’s what I want to be the main entry point for regular members. 

I then put a “my content” link in the secondary navigation bar. As a result, it will be directly visible when visiting the page and with that, it’s even more visible than when it would be in the user menu. 

Ok thank you those are very good point, I'll consider overhauling my menu. Now I'm playing with that idea: 

Could contain: Text, Label, Word, Logo, Symbol, Trademark

1 minute ago, opentype said:

It is generated from the streams that are set up in the ACP

Personally, I prefer just to not use that menu at all and instead put the streams I want in the menu. They can be selected with the “Activity Stream Item” object. 

Ok that makes sense, I'll have to play with it. Thanks!

59 minutes ago, opentype said:

I can’t replicate that. I definitely see new topics of mine as well as new Pages records and so on. 

Ok I can see it now, you're right. Thanks for all your help! 😄 

48 minutes ago, CGC Mike said:

I just click on my profile, then click on see all activity.  If I only want to see the threads I started, I click on topics.  This is the same setup for all of the members on the forum as well.

Yes, I think that might be even better, maybe I'll just use a link to that page instead. Thank you! — Wait, no, I can't have a link to that page because it contains the username. Or is it possible to create a link that uses the current user's username? 

Edited by Jamynee