Linking back to the gallery

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I currently have the Invision gallery installed but the forum is going to be only added in January. Right now, I still use bbpress, which has been ok for years.

Right now, I encourage my members to post their projects in the gallery, and embed their image in the specific forum threads. However, this is slightly different than they used to do as before we had the gallery, all the information about the project was also posted in the forum. Now, they put all the details and credits in the gallery (which is great), but now, when following a thread in the forum, members are not repeating all the information they posted in the gallery.

I know I cannot test anything since my Invision forum is not yet installed, but at that point, would the embeded image be linked to the gallery post itself so the viewer could access all the information the poster will have put there?

Thank you.

• Solution

If you want all the information of the gallery photo, I would just have them post the link to the gallery photo, cut out the middleman. As there is no way to embed all the information of the gallery photo in forums. You can insert a gallery image, but it will not contain all the data in Gallery.

Of course, I do not know the purpose of the forum in this context but what are you gaining with the forum topic? Gallery has the ability for users to comment directly on the gallery album/photo. Having your users go directly to the gallery album or photo may be the best way to curve any confusion and any duplication of data. Then in the forum, if you do need to add a relationship between a forum topic and gallery album/image, just post the gallery album or photo's URL.

The forum threads are used to have a cohort of students complete their projects, on a daily basis, and I go in, also on a daily basis to give feedback to all. Since I put the feedback to all in ONE post, everyone benefits from it. If I was to give feedback in the gallery, only the poster would get the valuable information. Here is a current thread for our bootcamp.

So, if there was a "simple" way that the image could be clicked on, and it would direct the viewer to the gallery, along with all the information put there by the poster, it would be great.

7 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Having your users go directly to the gallery album or photo may be the best way to curve any confusion and any duplication of data.

It would also mean more clicking for the viewer who might want to see the ten projects posted on that day, and just like my feedback post, they would not be as available as intended for others to read.

You could create an album which your all your students have access to upload to and do the same thing. Then leave feedback on the album rather than each individual image.

However, only images from the gallery can be embedded in a forum topic at present. 

27 minutes ago, Jim M said:

You could create an album which your all your students have access to upload to and do the same thing. Then leave feedback on the album rather than each individual image.

With daily activities, it might not make much sense. 

28 minutes ago, Jim M said:

However, only images from the gallery can be embedded in a forum topic at present. 

That is fine and that is how I explained how to do it. I just wished there was a SIMPLE way to click on the embeded image and be directed to the gallery post. Considering that some threads are not related to a specific course or lesson (like What are you working on?) and members creating their own albums, it would not make things easy to find.

If an "automatic link back" to the gallery is not available, I guess I would have to ask members to embed the image AND link to the gallery.