Is this theoretically possible?

Hi!

For context: we operate an online support community for young people. Our community guidelines are very firm on not sharing personal information/photos etc. For our members, self-expression is understandably a big deal and so we've been thinking of ways to improve our user experience. One of those ideas is to replace the stock avatar system with an owned IP feature that would allow our members to create their own character. Similar to something like Bitmoji. Once created, the character will then show on all of their posts/profile and activity and can be customised at any time with things like different hairstyles/clothing/emotion etc.

We understand that we'd need to find a developer to create this kind of functionality but before we do this, I wanted to check in to see if it was theoretically possible? 

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

In theory it is possible, but I'm not seeing any kind of API on the site. Only applications/extensions you can install on the phone or browser. 🤔

Oh, for Bitmoji? We wouldn't be looking to integrate their API, rather create our own IP, that's just an example of the kind of customisation we'd like to create

That's how I did it once :

Use SVG for all the elements ( separate SVG graphic for each pair of eyes, hair, mouths, nose, etc..)
Then use a a simple UI to change the used graphics via JS ( It's easier than you would think..) and at the end just store the data to a database (to make it easier editable) and generate a PNG from the SVG which is used as avatar.

Something like:

image.gif

That's just a hint for other devs if they want to try it, I can't unfortunately share this work.
Not as fancy as bitmoji, but still a functional simple avatar editor

2 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

That's how I did it once :

Use SVG for all the elements ( separate SVG graphic for each pair of eyes, hair, mouths, nose, etc..)
Then use a a simple UI to change the used graphics via JS ( It's easier than you would think..) and at the end just store the data to a database (to make it easier editable) and generate a PNG from the SVG which is used as avatar.

Something like:

image.gif

That's just a hint for other devs if they want to try it, I can't unfortunately share this work.
Not as fancy as bitmoji, but still a functional simple avatar editor

That's so, so cool! Reassuring to hear that it isn't overly complex, hopefully should be able to have something developed within budget. Thanks for sharing!