Software update failed.

Go to solution Solved by commandosqueak1,

So after spending hours fixing a PHP issue I broke it again. So i noticed in the admin console there was an optional update to apply. I went through the usual process and it failed halfway through. Now i am at the point where it says a particular file is broken and to either download the file from the my client area or the whole install from the same place and upload to the server. Well i did that but its still not working. I tried going to the admin upgrade as the site suggested and its still showing I have an issue with one of the files.

Any ideas how i can get round this?

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Word, DocumentCould contain: Text, Word

So I am now getting this error instead. honestly its one problem after another

We were unable to start a PHP session. You will need to contact your host to adjust your PHP configuration before you can continue. The error reported was: session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php81)

Please visit just /admin/upgrade and remove anything after that. If you are then still having the same issue, you would need to contact your hosting company on that one, as that would be a hosting issue unfortunately.

20 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

^ this is indeed the solution to your problem at present. We are aware of this and will be resolved at some point tomorrow.

Please also ensure you remove that line, once you have completed the upgrade

On 8/7/2022 at 8:13 PM, commandosqueak1 said:

So I am now getting this error instead. honestly its one problem after another

We were unable to start a PHP session. You will need to contact your host to adjust your PHP configuration before you can continue. The error reported was: session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php81)

That could be the same as my issue that I had 

3 minutes ago, commandosqueak1 said:

yeah unfortunately the OS is pretty screwed at this point. From the file manager in cpanel what files will I need if the OS was reinstalled? everything in the publich_html and public_ftp folders?

You would need to ask your hosting provider on this but typically it is public_html. The important folders in our software would be:

• /applications/ - if you have third party add-ons.
  • /plugins/ - if you have third party add-ons.
  • /uploads/ - this stores all attachments your users upload.
    • any custom storage locations.
  • conf_global.php
  • of course, your database.

The rest of our software is the core software which runs it and does not hold any information.

• Solution

Thanks for the info Jim. I am glad to say I have resolved the issue I was having. I updated the software on the server panel which updated php modules etc. This essentially repaired and updated everything that was missing and this fixed the php issue. Then the upgrade completed successfully!

Now the site it up I an pulling partial backups from cpanel so i have some kind of backups and i have set up an ftp server so going to pull a full backup and put it on my ftp server. Hopefully then I will have a full backup and can move everything over to new server.