Manual Ad Placement

Go to solution Solved by Schaken,

Manual Ad Placement

You can put advertisements in several pre-defined locations but it is also possible to create additional locations which you can insert by modifying the HTML code for your community or use in the Pages application.

First, create your advertisement as normal. For the "Show the advertisement" setting, select "Define your own location" and enter a key into the box (it can be whatever you like). You can then later use the same key for other advertisements that you want to show in this location.

Now you will need to insert a special tag in the HTML code where you want the advertisement to show. The code to insert is:

{advertisement="KEY"}

Replace "KEY" with whatever key you used.

In your theme

Go to Themes and click the "Edit HTML and CSS" button for your default theme. The specific template you need to edit and where to make the change depends on where you want the advertisement to show. For this example, if you wanted the advertisement to show in the profile under the header, go to the core -> front -> profile -> profileHeader template and insert the code at the very bottom.

Since each theme has its own HTML templates, you will now need to repeat this for each theme.

In pages or blocks

The tag can be inserted in a page, block or template within the Pages application. Simply insert the tag wherever you want the advertisement to show.

This is what @Marc Stridgen posted. I have knowledge of fair HTML and Basic CSS.

I put my google code in the advertisements page after creating a new ad in the Admin Panal. I give it a "Key" named "BetweenBlocks" - simple

But how I use that key is not explained very well at all sadly. We are told to "Create a special tag" "{advertisement="KEY"}" in HTML
So doing this literally only puts that exact thing in the page in plain text. this is a fail. 

By the way, I am using a custom block with WYSIWYG editor, so adding HTML is no problem

I tried many different ideas, thinking maybe you meant to add the key like a class? <div class="Key">whatever</div>
I tried also <advertisement="key"></advertisement>
I tried going to pages, and adding:
.key{
}

to save us all some time, I tried 20 different ideas like this, no success of what is supposed to be done, and considering i know HTML at even a very basic level, I really assume this is a very big question for lots of people.

HOW IS THIS SUPPOSED TO WORK?? (Apologies, im at my end with this, the example does no good)

ok, but that still does not give me anywhere to start. Lets say i go into my theme, a footer or header example. Then what?
I have yet to find anything that works no matter where i put it, or how I put it. 

By the way, I do appreciate the response time. You are very helpful. Thank you!

• Solution

@Jim M you gave me the idea to just go to the theme and do a word search for "Advertisements" and bam!
Could contain: Text, Menu, Page

So how I could do what I wanted, using blocks, is I can create a custom block and enter it there.
Going to Blocks under the Pages App, create a new bloc and select HTML
Could contain: Text, Electronics

Then in the next page, I enter My info: (Using pretty much whatever i want here)
Could contain: File, Text, Webpage

THEN I get to enter the "Key" (I used the word "BetweenBlocks")
Could contain: Text, Word

Then save, and go to anywhere, and you can add that block anywhere, it works like a charm!
Could contain: Text, Electronics

Sorry if all this was Obvious to you, which I am sure it was, but others will wonder as well and I hope this will help anyone who struggled like I did.

Thanks for your help!

You are correct and I really did not think about that. If you would like to move this topic to a better suited area, feel free. I do believe that this info will help others who are wondering as well.

BTW @Marc Stridgen I always appreciate your comments, you are usually the first one to help me anytime I need it. If I am ever to suggest anything for this community, I suggest we get to review the individual staff, I would give you a 5 star rating. thank you for your constant support! (Even if you were not able to help me this time, you normally do!)

15 hours ago, Schaken said:

BTW @Marc Stridgen I always appreciate your comments, you are usually the first one to help me anytime I need it. If I am ever to suggest anything for this community, I suggest we get to review the individual staff, I would give you a 5 star rating. thank you for your constant support! (Even if you were not able to help me this time, you normally do!)

Thats very nice for you to say, thank you 🙂