Site optimizations

Greetings to all, i've had an issue last time where my site would crash after uploading / downloading an item from my site, after contacting GoDaddy support i found out what the issue is, but beeing a complete beginner i have not idea where to start, maybe someone here can help me out, buying a new VPS or upgrading the one that i currently own is not an option unfortunately.

I'm using a shared host ( i know it's not a good idea but worked great on wordpress ) and found out after i've spoken to Godaddy support that my server's "I/O Usage" Maxxess out that is why my site would crash after uploading / downloading files.

My question is how can i optimize Invision community to use less "I/O Usage", what settings can i make in Admin CP to achieve better results, also if someone here knows some cpanel setting that would be awesome.

Thank you and have a great day. 🙂

25 minutes ago, stu_m said:

well I/O usage is all to do with disk usage 

What files are you uploading and downloading? is the site and active one? 

Mostly zip files from 500 kb to 32 mb max and images 1 mb max, it's not that active maybe 100 users a day, only i upload files.

31 minutes ago, MCIgames said:

Mostly zip files from 500 kb to 32 mb max and images 1 mb max, it's not that active maybe 100 users a day, only i upload files.

I managed to find your site 

I noticed that anyone can download files I would change that to logged in users only and allow people to create an account and maybe get a forum going to create a bit of discussion 

I downloaded a file and all was OK is it the larger size files that are causing the issues? 

51 minutes ago, stu_m said:

I managed to find your site 

I noticed that anyone can download files I would change that to logged in users only and allow people to create an account and maybe get a forum going to create a bit of discussion 

I downloaded a file and all was OK is it the larger size files that are causing the issues? 

Yes, sorry for not posting my site earlier.

The guest download was just an experiment, i'll be switching back to accounts only, crashing occured even when gust download was not possible

Depends, sometime site crashes after one file other times after 3,4,5 files.

I was thinking if there is an option in cpanel to limit usage to the I/O usage so it does not go over, i don't have an issue with my site loading slower i have an issue with it crashing, it's not a very good user experience.

Or some settings in Invision community's Admin CP so i can take the load off the site ( read / write less ).

Edited by MCIgames

• 1 month later...

I used to have GoDaddy for hosting... 99% sure it's a problem with their hosting.

They also tried to upsell me on a VPS I didn't need.

But the time I used them, I managed to fix the problem by upgrading from their economy to business hosting.