Jump to content

Prefix


Ricsca
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Recommended Posts

I have a category where users can search or offer rides.
I need that they have to put "I am looking for" or "I offer" as a prefix.
I googled and realized that I need to set these 2 mandatory tags in the category.
The problem is that they are not visible when a discussion is created but only appear if the user starts typing them.
How can I do to make them visible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution

The only way to do this is to have a closed tag system. So you would go to System>Settings>Posting, and set the tags in there, while also setting it closed. When clicking to add a tag, they will then see a dropdown of the tags you have provided there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ricsca said:

Ok, I understand that it must be closed, but the tags should not be inserted there but only in the categories.
I don't understand why ipb doesn't have a prefix system like all the other forums ...

You can use a tag as a prefix. You select the tag, then it will allow you to select that tag as a prefix

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I understood this but it is not a simple thing for normal users ... It is also not possible to change the colors of the tags.

 

I also found an article from you where you said how to change the colors of the tags by editing the custom.css file but I didn't understand where that file is ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not work...

This code

.ipsTags a[href*="/tags/Offro/"],
a.ipsTag_prefix[href*="?tags=Offro"] {
    background: Purple;
}
html[dir="ltr"] .ipsTags a[href*="/tags/Offro/"]:before,
html[dir="ltr"] a.ipsTag_prefix[href*="?tags=Offro"]:before {
	border-color: transparent Purple transparent transparent;
}

This guide

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I notice that ipb they say to update every certain time but only to have the license renewed ... They never make any useful updates (like prefixes, improve the sending of emails, etc.) but only code updates ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Ricsca said:

Could you update it to 2022?
Thank you

Please feel free to add any constructive feedback to our suggestions area. "Update to 2022" is not really constructive actionable feedback

20 hours ago, Ghost Face said:

Is there any reason why IPS doesn't have a prefix system? It's like a core feature of every forum software and I don't think I've ever come across a forum that doesn't use prefixes.

We do have a prefix system. We simply dont have it in the manner that is being asked for here. You can choose a prefix for topics from the tags that have been selected

1 hour ago, Ricsca said:

I notice that ipb they say to update every certain time but only to have the license renewed ... They never make any useful updates (like prefixes, improve the sending of emails, etc.) but only code updates ...

Sorry to hear you feel that way. However while our updates may not be useful to you, Im sure many of our customers appreiciate the many bug fixes between each release, and features added to our feature releases. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Marc Stridgen your license costs a lot, I have been with you for a few months and I have seen that users always ask you the same things and I vote you always answer to ask for a new featured but then do nothing.
A decent prefix system, phpbb smf or mybb also has it which are free ...
An admin needs to contact their users and you don't develop anything to do it without making them go offline the hammer server say to pay sendgrid (which is very bad as well as very expensive)
That you release bag updates is the minimum given what you pay!
That you improve the forum system to 2022 with important featured, it should always be the minimum ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ricsca said:

@Marc Stridgen your license costs a lot, I have been with you for a few months and I have seen that users always ask you the same things and I vote you always answer to ask for a new featured but then do nothing.

Hey @Ricsca,  totally feel your frustration. I think Marc is doing an awesome job for what it's worth, and the community agrees. 😊 

We have a lot of amazing updates on the way for this year, so stay tuned. 

 

8 hours ago, Ricsca said:

A decent prefix system, phpbb smf or mybb also has it which are free ...

Definitely worth considering purchasing one of the third-party apps. I know it isn't free, but this developer worked hard on it. Would be great to support. I personally use this app as well. 

 

 

8 hours ago, Ricsca said:

An admin needs to contact their users and you don't develop anything to do it without making them go offline the hammer server say to pay sendgrid (which is very bad as well as very expensive)

I think that's relative. I use Sendgrid to reach out to my members outside of the community, and overall it's fairly inexpensive. If Sendgrid is out of your budget, perhaps segment who will receive that message from you (versus every/all members).

If you'd like to continue to discuss things, feel free to private message me. We'll get you sorted 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Marc Stridgenalways write that you have thousands of satisfied customers to justify any complaints ...
Search sendgrid in this forum and you will see hundreds of messages from people having problems ...
Just for the forum we give you 250 dollars and every 6 months another 40 (without considering that you have bought blogs, ecommerces, galleries, etc.), it would be the minimum to develop api for free services like Amazon AWS and not to force users to subscribe to services for a fee to send emails.
There are many other great services such as mailcimp, sendingblue etc. why don't you develop api for them since it is now certain that sendgrid has problems? Sendgrid even, with the first paid plan, "No Access to Email Validation" ...
If you have thousands of customers it means that you earn millions of euros a year, developing options so as not to make your customers spend more money is the minimum ...
And it's minimal to even develop a simple prefix system like all free forums have ...

What I noticed instead, is that knowing that you have little competition (only xenforo) you are simply not interested in improving your forum ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ricsca said:

@Marc Stridgenalways write that you have thousands of satisfied customers to justify any complaints ...
Search sendgrid in this forum and you will see hundreds of messages from people having problems ...
Just for the forum we give you 250 dollars and every 6 months another 40 (without considering that you have bought blogs, ecommerces, galleries, etc.), it would be the minimum to develop api for free services like Amazon AWS and not to force users to subscribe to services for a fee to send emails.
There are many other great services such as mailcimp, sendingblue etc. why don't you develop api for them since it is now certain that sendgrid has problems? Sendgrid even, with the first paid plan, "No Access to Email Validation" ...
If you have thousands of customers it means that you earn millions of euros a year, developing options so as not to make your customers spend more money is the minimum ...
And it's minimal to even develop a simple prefix system like all free forums have ...

What I noticed instead, is that knowing that you have little competition (only xenforo) you are simply not interested in improving your forum ...

@Ricsca, imagine you develop and sell a unique product. You have already thousands of customers, 80% are happy. 20% are not. They say:

  • Your green is not green enough, please make it greener.
  • Move this holder to the other side, it does not make sense to have it here
  • Integrate a GPS chip so that if lose it, I can find it easily (after all, even Apple does so!)
  • Make it a bit smaller so that it fits in my Gucci woman's bag, there are only some millimeters too big
  • Disappointed, that this is not waterproof
  • No app? Well, how am I supposed to use it without an app? We are not in the Stone Age.

And so on.

On the other side, you have your own roadmap and ideas on how the product should be developed further. And you have some bulk customers, saying, if you put this glittering thing over there, I will buy even more.

If you care about your business, you would hear suggestions and evaluate if the green should become even greener. Is it something that will help to boost your sale? You will keep your roadmap and work on new ideas and features instead of following ALL suggestions your customers ever made, sane or not. And you will try to satisfy your key customers, sane or not, to keep them buying even more of your products.

You must discard some suggestions, that require significant effort and promise only a small outcome. The customer whose suggestion you've discarded will say: "you are simply not interested in improving your product". And that will not be true. You know it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Sonya* I'm not talking about special customizations but basic customizations.
A prefix system (and not a hybrid tag) is the basis for a forum that has been around for 20 years.
Developer a system to be able to contact their users is essential for anyone with a forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ricsca said:

@Sonya* I'm not talking about special customizations but basic customizations.
A prefix system (and not a hybrid tag) is the basis for a forum that has been around for 20 years.
Developer a system to be able to contact their users is essential for anyone with a forum.

As Sonya mentioned, while you may find it something essential, its not necessarily essential to everyone. You may not like our implementation, and that is what our suggestion area is for. In any case, thank you for your feedback

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...