Member Group >> Social >> Messages >> Conversations allowed to start per day not working

Go to solution Solved by Clover13,

Noticed a spammer got through today and was able to PM members despite being in a Member Group that has Conversations allowed to start per day set to 0.  I have it setup intentionally to not allow this and promote to a Member Group that does allow PMs after 3 posts.  Not sure when this broke, I'm guessing in the last update.

The member joined 9 hours ago, is put in a New Members group upon registering, which has the respective limitations on PMs configured.  Nothing was changed regarding that configuration today in this group.  I cannot figure out how this user was able to send a PM given what group he is in and the limits it has set (which you confirmed are working with your account).  This limit does seems to work, at least some of the time or historically (as new members have asked why they couldn't send PMs initially).

I see something unique in the Ranking credits for this member:

Posted Friendship

What is the "Friendship" aspect and is that different than a standard Private Message but it sent AS a Private Message?

Edited by Clover13

17 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

Posted Friendship

What is the "Friendship" aspect and is that different than a standard Private Message but it sent AS a Private Message?

Unfortunately, there is nothing in our default software called "Friendship".

I also see that you have Tapatalk installed. It could be they sent the message from that application. If so, you would need to contact Tapatalk for assistance as this would be outside of the default software.

10 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, there is nothing in our default software called "Friendship".

I also see that you have Tapatalk installed. It could be they sent the message from that application. If so, you would need to contact Tapatalk for assistance as this would be outside of the default software.

Good call, might be Tapatalk related!  Attached screenshot so you can see where I am seeing it.   Also see something about "Posted Business".  I am not sure where these contexts come from.

Curiously, how does an Invision Community Ranking system's "Rank" get tied to a Tapatalk (or any external softwares) features?

harryjone49-manage-points.png

Edited by Clover13

8 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

Good call, might be Tapatalk related!  Attached screenshot so you can see where I am seeing it.   Also see something about "Posted Business".  I am not sure where these contexts come from.

Curiously, how does an Invision Community Ranking system's "Rank" get tied to a Tapatalk (or any external softwares) features?

harryjone49-manage-points.png

You would need to click those items to find out what they are but likely a topic or content of some kind.

Just now, Jim M said:

You would need to ask Tapatalk as we do not provide support for third party applications.

OK, the question is, does Invision Community have API methods that allow external programs/apps to create and add their own ranking system to the Invision Community one?  That seems a little odd no?  We want to define our Ranking system and Rules within Invision Community and have that honored by any client app.

Regarding the "Posted Friendship", that was in the screenshot I sent to you in PM.  It appears that comes through AS a Private Message.

Being the user is banned now, and their content has been removed/hidden, I cannot view where that "Posted Business" resolves to in terms of content, but the relative URL appears to be messenger (PM) related: {site}/messenger/24819/

Edited by Clover13

21 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

OK, the question is, does Invision Community have API methods that allow external programs/apps to create and add their own ranking system to the Invision Community one?  That seems a little odd no?  We want to define our Ranking system and Rules within Invision Community and have that honored by any client app.

The issue here is that Tapatalk is not obeying by the ability to send messages. They could merely be inserting this directly via the database and completely avoiding the SDK which is not part of our best practices we recommend but is available via the SDK when creating a third party application/plugin.  This is all speculation and why you need to reach out to Tapatalk for assistance.

11 minutes ago, Jim M said:

The issue here is that Tapatalk is not obeying by the ability to send messages. They could merely be inserting this directly via the database and completely avoiding the SDK which is not part of our best practices we recommend but is available via the SDK when creating a third party application/plugin.  This is all speculation and why you need to reach out to Tapatalk for assistance.

OK I'll check with them and let you know.

1 hour ago, Randy Calvert said:

There is nothing in the default software that contain the word friendship. You might look in the language localization for that phrase and see what app/plugin it is tied to. 

No matches of Friendship in the language configuration

1 hour ago, Clover13 said:

No matches of Friendship in the language configuration

Then that would mean it's a 3rd party plugin/application that did not use language strings and instead hard coded it.  You might try temporarily turning off ALL applications/plugins.  Verify the reference on your site to a Friendship disappears.  Turn each application/plugin on one by one until you find the culprit.  

10 hours ago, Clover13 said:

@Jim M

Tapatalk says they do not have any feature that posts Friendship or Business.  I have no idea where these are coming from nor where the IPS ranking system credits are defined for them.  Any other ideas?

You will want to ask them about their application sending messages, as this is the issue you’re having specifically. 

• Solution

I verified this is within Tapatalk.  The "Friendship" and "Business" is merely the title of the PM, and counts as a "Content" credit in the Ranking system I'm guessing given the 10 point credit (i.e. Posted {content}) where {content} in the case of PMs is the title of the PM.

Following up with Tapatalk again as this is a problem with their PM authorization being out of sync with IPS settings/rules configured.