3.4.9 to 4.6.9 upgrade error

PatrickRQ
Go to solution Solved by PatrickRQ,

Unfortunately, we no longer support the 3.x series of products, so there is very limited support we can provide with this. I can forward your ticket to our community support, as someone may be able to assist you with getting upgraded there. Alternatively, we can get a ticket created for you to see what we can offer on upgrading. Please let us know which way you would like to go on this

But this is error of your own upgrader. Two years ago when I was upgrading other forums from 3.4.9 you had the same error in upgrader and solution was provided within ticket. unfortunately, you changed the system and I no longer have access to old tickets.

The upgrader from 3.4.x requires some class that does not exist in IPS package, so I doubt it is a request of 3.x support but rather upgrader support to IPS 4.x

I believe upgrade from latest stock version of 3.x series should be supported forever, until any of your users will like to upgrade their forums.

Bug is in upgrader. Thanks God I have good memory and remembered what was the issue. It occurs when you have IP.Content database without assigned Page.

Now you are welcome to include the fix into upgrader 🙂 Thank you.

Edited by PatrickRQ

Conferring with one of my colleagues, this looks to be encountered from bad data in the database; such as categories exist for a database but not the database itself. If you remove that bad data, the upgrade will work without issue. Unfortunately, that is the problem with most version 3 upgrades as there is a lot happening in most data due to outside influences or configurations than what we can account for in the version 4 upgrader. As what you've encountered is really a custom migration than an upgrade, we're happy to bring this to a ticket to discuss a quote. However, standard support is no longer offered for version 3, which includes upgrades from that version.

Sorry that this is not what you wish to hear but hope this helps guide you to a solution.

43 minutes ago, PatrickRQ said:

Thanks for reply @Jim M, I posted solution above. Since IPB3 allowed to create database without a page assigned I see it as unhandled scenario in upgrader. Solution is to remove database or assign any page to it OR, handle the case in upgrader 🙂

Thank you for the feedback. I will pass this on. However, a database should not theoretically require a page. It could well be bad data that removing the database or adding it to a page fixed. I am glad you found a fix though!