Uploads folder - 20k+ small files. Normal? I think hacked

I did not, because I'm still not clear what is making the permissions change that is blocking me to do the steps you guys recommended. This is self-managed VPS, so this makes things a bit harder. Are you guys very sure it is a server/permissions problem and not a software problem? Any recommendations first things to check on the server?

27 minutes ago, estan said:

I did not, because I'm still not clear what is making the permissions change that is blocking me to do the steps you guys recommended. This is self-managed VPS, so this makes things a bit harder. Are you guys very sure it is a server/permissions problem and not a software problem? Any recommendations first things to check on the server?

Only the server would be able to change the permissions or users that the software has. I can't as a software provider tell your server to write if it does not have permission to do so at the server-level.

31 minutes ago, estan said:

@estan If its a self managed vps - presume self is yourself ? - then look at my post above (page 1) - this will catch whats changing permissions 

Edited by Muddy Boots