Page Record Mentions Trigger Notifications Each Edit

Go to solution Solved by Nakamura RTS,

Hi, as far as I know there is no specific setting for this, so I assume this is a bug. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

When posting a record with a mention in it, it will send a notification/email as expected based on the user's settings.

However, every time you edit said record, the notification and email will be re-triggered. This also happens with comments in page records.

I wasn't able to reproduce this using forum topics.

Any help appreciated!

To confirm, this is on the latest release of 4.6.7? I am only able to receive the initial mention and not the mention on edits. I would advise disabling any third party applications/plugins you have installed and test again on an unmodified theme.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

To confirm, this is on the latest release of 4.6.7? I am only able to receive the initial mention and not the mention on edits. I would advise disabling any third party applications/plugins you have installed and test again on an unmodified theme.

Hi Jim, it is 4.6.7, yes. I am also unable to reproduce it on a local virtual server - customization enabled or disabled don't seem to influence this.

It does happen in our live environment though, and I was wondering if it may have something to do with this error:

image.png.23e27803b2f9eeee36678cc71715a7dc.png

On the virtual server it looks like this:

image.png.768ccbca90b79e24b5beb7963eb92db3.png

Any advice appreciated.

Edited by Nakamura0114

12 minutes ago, Jim M said:

You are not using InnoDB tables but this should not impact the result as each server it is not.

Is this the same exact installation on each server or is it a brand new installation on your non-live environment?

It's the same installation. Unless exporting and importing the DB counts as a new install.

Just now, Nakamura0114 said:

It's the same installation. Unless exporting and importing the DB counts as a new install.

Nope, that would constitute the same in what I was looking for. Thanks.

If you could please add access details to your Client Area for your community, I can take a deeper look at this. However, this is quite odd that it would happen on one server but not the other. To confirm, you're editing the same Pages record?

49 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Nope, that would constitute the same in what I was looking for. Thanks.

If you could please add access details to your Client Area for your community, I can take a deeper look at this. However, this is quite odd that it would happen on one server but not the other. To confirm, you're editing the same Pages record?

Details are updated, thank you!

Yes, same record is being edited in this case. Feel free to try it with any of the news pages and a test user once you are looking - just need to a post a news item with a user @ mentioned in the content, and edit the record. This will result in 2 notifications / emails.

Edited by Nakamura0114

13 minutes ago, Nakamura0114 said:

Details are updated, thank you!

Yes, same record is being edited in this case. Feel free to try it with any of the news pages and a test user once you are looking - just need to a post a news item with a user @ mentioned in the content, and edit the record. This will result in 2 notifications / emails.

Thanks! Could you please disable Two Factor Authentication for our account?

• Solution
46 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Thank you, I was able to access now. However, I am only receiving notifications on the first initial post or comment. I am not getting subsequent notifications on each edit. Are you seeing this for both email and inline notifications?

I am also unable to reproduce it now except for the group mention marketplace app, and our custom tournament page. 

What's strange is that earlier I had a 100% repro on any page with the regular mention type. No idea what fixed things, honestly. Especially seeing as it was still an issue after I did the tests with disabled and re-enabled customizations.

Edit: I'll chalk it up to repeated resets of apps and plugins until I find something reproducible in regular areas. Appreciate you looking into this hopefully wild goose chase.

Edited by Nakamura0114