Hump Day: check Invision Community's uptime 24/7

Β 

hump.png
8/25/2021

Β 

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 9.10.18 AM.png

Happy Hump Day, team! I wanted to share our new uptime status checker.

https://status.invisioncommunity.com

ThoseΒ who've opted for one of our Cloud plans canΒ now track up and downtime.Β If your community is experiencing downtime, feel free to check this page before submitting a ticket. πŸ˜ƒΒ 

You can also subscribe to receive updates via email as well so you're always in the know.Β 
Β 

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 09.08.49.png

Β 

A link to this status checker will be included in the Client Area on our website refresh (launching in September).Β 

There's a section that details a history of what's transpired. Check it out and let us know what you think.
Β 

---

health.png
Β 

We recently launched a Health Club utilizing our clubs feature.

Greatly appreciate everyone who's joined and contributed thus far. I know the content isn't necessarily related to our platform and it may feel like we're cluttering up your All Activity Stream, but I do firmly believe being healthier translates into bettering your community. It's cheesy, but being your best self offline helps your presence online and in your community. If you haven't already, please give the Club a visit and join. You may be surprised.Β 
Β 

---

Shifting gears here.Β In the past week, the dev team slayed a number of fixes and updates to the platform.

Sink your teeth into the latest and greatest:Β 

- Fixed the group search flood control setting not showing the correct value.

- Improved catching errors that 3rd party hook may throw.

- Fixed issue where the AdminCP Search Activity statistics restriction wouldn't cause a corresponding in the menu to appear.

- Fixed an issue where search pagination can lose quick search and node parameters.

- Fixed some missing language strings in Member History when looking at badges/points.

- Fixed an error being generated when viewing Member history.

- Fixed a PHP 8 specific issue that could cause an exception when viewing a product with reviews.

- Fixed an issue upgrading from a really old version of Gallery.

- Fixed an issue where Stripe JS may be loaded more than once.

- Fixed the group wait time setting not showing the correct value.

Β 

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Drop us a line in the comments. We'd love to hear from you! Happy Hump Day, fam.Β 

For those on your Community in the Cloud platform, the public status service is a step in the right direction. I'm sorry to hear there have been such significant problems and launching it is likely the result of an onslaught of inbound support chat requests that the world is on fire for them.

It would be great to take that reactionary energy and channel it into useful proactive solutions by being equally transparent with the status of known bugs/issues (and workarounds if applicable) and the expected resolution availabilities beyond "some future version."

Your list of issues is welcome, however formalizing this along with "available next maintenance release," "next minor release," "next major release," "4.6.3.1," etc.Β would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea when the PHP8 error will be made available that the team worked hard to fix this week.

I know you probably don't know either right away, and that it takes a bit of discipline, yet so does maintaining a status page.

On 8/25/2021 at 6:22 PM, Jordan Invision said:

We recently launched a Health Club utilizing our clubs feature.

I'm missing the possibility to answer directly in the overview. I know, it's only a stream, but it feels like a place for short conversations.

In my community users have the same irritation. They're looking for a textfield or an "answer"-button and they must consider that they first have to go to club forum.

grave GIF

Edited by Claudia999

33 minutes ago, CoffeeCake said:

For those on your Community in the Cloud platform, the public status service is a step in the right direction. I'm sorry to hear there have been such significant problems and launching it is likely the result of an onslaught of inbound support chat requests that the world is on fire for them.

It would be great to take that reactionary energy and channel it into useful proactive solutions by being equally transparent with the status of known bugs/issues (and workarounds if applicable) and the expected resolution availabilities beyond "some future version."

Your list of issues is welcome, however formalizing this along with "available next maintenance release," "next minor release," "next major release," "4.6.3.1," etc.Β would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea when the PHP8 error will be made available that the team worked hard to fix this week.

I know you probably don't know either right away, and that it takes a bit of discipline, yet so does maintaining a status page.

Thanks for the insight! Def a step in the right direction. We had a hiccup with AWS this week so we felt it was important to launch this effort to keep clients in the loop. Things are much more stable now πŸ™‚Β 

Also, we are discussing a few ideas regarding the cadence of whenΒ fixes/updatesΒ goΒ live. We want to make that aspect more predictable so you all know when to expect things.Β πŸ‘Β 

55 minutes ago, Claudia999 said:

I'm missing the possibility to answer directly in the overview. I know, it's only a stream, but it feels like a place for short conversations.

In my community users have the same irritation. They're looking for a textfield or an "answer"-button and they must consider that they first have to go to club forum.

grave GIF

Definitely a nice suggestion πŸ‘ŒΒ 

1 hour ago, Claudia999 said:

I know, it's only a stream, but it feels like a place for short conversations.

Seems useful for any implementation of an activity stream. Create opportunities to engage with the content where ever it is visible. Excellent call out. At the very least, put a reply button, yet opening an editor right on the stream would be ideal that then took you to the new reply at wherever the context was (i.e. your reply's position in the thread).

1 hour ago, Jordan Invision said:

Also, we are discussing a few ideas regarding the cadence of whenΒ fixes/updatesΒ goΒ live. We want to make that aspect more predictable so you all know when to expect things.Β πŸ‘Β 

Not only when fixes go live, but what issues exist. We need to know:

1. That IPS is aware of an issue that happens in <x> circumstances
  2. That an administrator can take <y> action to workaround the issue until a fix is in place (disable a thing, not use a thing, configure a thing a certain way, etc.)
  3. That the issue is being addressed by the IPS team
  4. That a resolution to the issue is expected/will be available/is now available with <z> release/patch

As an example, we are testing an upgrade to PHP8. You announced that something involving PHP8 has been resolved, which then informed me of items 1, 2 (don't use PHP8 yet), and 3. I don't know 4.

Being able to go to a "status page" of known issues (i.e. bug tracker, but not like the bug tracker that gets turned on in beta releases), and see what known issues exist, if there are any workarounds, and when a fix might be put in place (think knowledge base), would help drive self-service engagement with support issues and help people like me know what issues are already known and when to expect a resolution (or how I can work around it).

On 8/25/2021 at 11:22 AM, Jordan Invision said:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Drop us a line in the comments. We'd love to hear from you! Happy Hump Day, fam.Β 

Questions?

14 hours ago, Jordan Invision said:

*Waits for reply*Β πŸ˜…

Release date ?Β 

App Reaction GIF

23 hours ago, CoffeeCake said:

Seems useful for any implementation of an activity stream. Create opportunities to engage with the content where ever it is visible. Excellent call out. At the very least, put a reply button, yet opening an editor right on the stream would be ideal that then took you to the new reply at wherever the context was (i.e. your reply's position in the thread).

Not only when fixes go live, but what issues exist. We need to know:

1. That IPS is aware of an issue that happens in <x> circumstances
  2. That an administrator can take <y> action to workaround the issue until a fix is in place (disable a thing, not use a thing, configure a thing a certain way, etc.)
  3. That the issue is being addressed by the IPS team
  4. That a resolution to the issue is expected/will be available/is now available with <z> release/patch

As an example, we are testing an upgrade to PHP8. You announced that something involving PHP8 has been resolved, which then informed me of items 1, 2 (don't use PHP8 yet), and 3. I don't know 4.

Being able to go to a "status page" of known issues (i.e. bug tracker, but not like the bug tracker that gets turned on in beta releases), and see what known issues exist, if there are any workarounds, and when a fix might be put in place (think knowledge base), would help drive self-service engagement with support issues and help people like me know what issues are already known and when to expect a resolution (or how I can work around it).

I like where your head is at, but I think this might be a can of worms lol πŸ˜…

Some things in my opinion need to remain behind the curtain until we are 100% ready to share. πŸ˜‡

But taking a step back at the full list 1-4 you shared, I do agree with the sentiment. We are always working towards being more transparent with the community.Β