Warning/points/actions expiration logic

I've went through the warnings and restrictions guide but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

When a moderator issues a warning that has points attached to it, those points have an "expiration date".
However, when you set up an action - this action ALSO has an "expiration date". 

So the question is - what "wins"? 

For example:
We have the warning system set up so that if you get 3 point, you're getting moderated for 2 months.
Matt got 3 warnings within 30 days. Each of those warnings had 1 point attached. Each point "expires" after 30 days.
But, by the time matt got his 3rd point, his 1st point was about to expire after one week. 

Does he still get moderated for the entire two months?
is the restriction lifted once the member "doesn't reach the needed point total"?
whatever the answer, what's the best way you've found to be able to set up both a threshold for a short duration sanction and for a longer duration one?

This works differently than vBulletin and got us all tangled up. vBulletin was based on points, and worked like you're thinking it should. I feel that you and I are kindred spirits.

In IPB, the time is set at the time of issuance based on the conditions (number of points, settings) at the time of issuance. 

In your example, Matt is getting moderated for two months.

I should note that Matt probably deserves it.

31 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

I should note that Matt probably deserves it.

I know, right?

I feel that you and I are kindred spirits.

I know, right?

This works differently than vBulletin and got us all tangled up. vBulletin was based on points, and worked like you're thinking it should

You hit that one on the head. I've pretty much just copy-pasta'd the system from what we had in VB, and since we're not issuing a whole lot of warnings with points and generally just using the warning system as an anonymous on-way PM system from the mods to members who step out of line, I never really had time to dive into the workings of the warning system. But for the past month or so our country got back into a 3rd lockdown and people seem to be slowly slipping out of sanity and we've had to moderate and even ban a few members recently. So I figured I'd better know how the damned system works, and this time is as good a time as any 😄 

9 minutes ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

I've pretty much just copy-pasta'd the system from what we had in VB, and since we're not issuing a whole lot of warnings with points and generally just using the warning system as an anonymous on-way PM system from the mods to members who step out of line, I never really had time to dive into the workings of the warning system.

Precisely our experience as well. Points inform what will happen when you send it, and whatever it says will happen when you send it is what happens. vBulletin also had the ability to send non-punative warnings (we renamed the entire system, so I don't recall what the terms vB used were), which essentially functioned as zero point notes.

We've replicated that behavior by assigning everything a default of zero points and are actively rethinking how we might use it better.  

On 2/10/2021 at 7:16 PM, Paul E. said:

(we renamed the entire system, so I don't recall what the terms vB used were)

We had it in Hebrew so it wouldn't matter even if you did 😄 

Speaking of which, Is there a way to be able to send those no-point warnings without forcing members to acknowledge them while keeping that requirement for "pointed" warnings? 
i.e not disabling the "Users must acknowledge issued warnings before posting again?" option.

Well, crap.

BTW, I've finally sat down and edited the Warning-Points-Action thing so the system's somewhat reasonable:

image.thumb.png.ea088d5b0dfd785ea58f5619e348157b.png

All the sums in here need to be accumulated within one month. 
Also, using @Adriano Faria's WONDERFUL "Change Group After Ban Member via Warn System" Plugin, we're restricting moderated users from posting in our 'Off-Topic' forum (which is restricted for more "veteran" and rule abiding members), an Incredibly useful option that for some reason is still not shown in the plugin's description ahem ahem 😄   

Edited by Pavel Chernitsky