Guest Restrictions

Jim
Go to solution Solved by DawPi,

I'm either missing a setting(s) that's obvious, or what I am after doesn't exist...

I'm setting up a forum for someone who requires a fairly unique setup.

When it comes to guest access, there appears to be limited options to help achieve what I need.

Option 1 - No access to forums:

If I don't allow them to the website, they are simply presented with the login page... there is no menu bar showing (even though its set to show to guests)... this is too extreme as they cannot even read some of the pages I have created... so cannot see this being an option as I can't even add a text box with links that they can view.

So this takes me to option 2...

Option 2 - Limited access to forums:

So giving them access to the website and preventing them from reading posts seems the logical step... however, two issues...

They can view the sidebar blocks... which means they can see members... which in turn means they can view the members profiles... this cannot happen.

I simply want guests to:

• View the certain menu buttons I've granted access to (sorted by allowing access to forums)
  • Not see any of the forums (sorted via permission) or
  • Not be able to view sidebar (issue)
  • Not be able to see members names / access their profiles (issue because of the sidebar)
  • Not be able to search (I've set this to one search per day to limit this... I'm really surprised there isn't a setting to stop guest searching)

Any ideas or suggestions how to achieve this??

• Solution
7 minutes ago, Jim said:

Not be able to search (I've set this to one search per day to limit this... I'm really surprised there isn't a setting to stop guest searching)

obraz.thumb.png.046f0641d98634f9c38a30aa41c517de.png

obraz.thumb.png.b01e0e600872145b4469277d740d9b3e.png

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

Not be able to see members names / access their profiles (issue because of the sidebar)

The same place:

obraz.thumb.png.d6d78b47d482f0a4d19a78611bc2258d.png

Top man, thank you @DawPi never even gave it a thought to check there...

I've restricted profiles and search.

However, still have popular contributors showing and some other sidebars... any idea how to completely restrict access to sidebars??

Jim

Edited by Jim

12 minutes ago, DawPi said:

Wrap whole sidebar template bit by this code:

{{if \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->member_id}}
	...default sidebar template bit content...
{{endif}}

Fantastic, thank you Dawid! Really appreciate your time and as always, excellent support!