Vetting / Restricted Registration Process

Jim

Hi all,

I am after any advice, suggestions or examples you have implemented please...

I have a new forum that I need to vet/assess new account registrations to ensure they are allowed on... however, I have no way of personally doing this, only the existing members will be able to confirm.

So I can see there is a 'Referrals System' and an 'Invite System' applications which are options, however pose some issues in terms of the invite process as they require email addresses. The Referrals System is the more flexible of the two for my needs.

My only other thought is to allow anyone to register and put them into an 'unverified' group with restricted posting to only one forum section where the already verified members can then reply to their post to confirm they know them... this is obviously tedious for Admin/Staff as they gave to manually move the user to a 'verified' group.

So has anyone else come across this issue and how do you manage it?

Regards

Jim

Edited by Jim

16 minutes ago, Jim said:

My only other thought is to allow anyone to register and put them into an 'unverified' group with restricted posting to only one forum section where the already verified members can then reply to their post to confirm they know them

How will verified members validate the unverified members?  With photos, text descriptions, or what?  

16 minutes ago, Jim said:

this is obviously tedious for Admin/Staff as they gave to manually move the user to a 'verified' group

You require manual validation, so .... that's going to require some manual adjustments once they're approved.  This is the nature of your registration process.    

You can give ACP access to Staff where their only permission is to manage members, so they can approve and move members for you.  

Just now, Joel R said:

How will verified members validate the unverified members?  With photos, text descriptions, or what?  

Mainly by name as they either currently or used to work with them... however, the obvious issue, if they don't register with their name or their name is different now. So that option is pretty much out.

Just now, Jim said:

Mainly by name as they either currently or used to work with them... however, the obvious issue, if they don't register with their name or their name is different now. So that option is pretty much out.

Okay, so social validation of real world identity.  

Some thoughts:

1.  You can customize the registration screen (this should be pretty easy / not too expensive / available plugins from the Marketplace) to:

• Add instructions that ask users must use real name.  This won't stop someone from registering as MickyMouse, but it'll guide the majority of registrants to follow instructions.
  • Require an avatar picture.  

2.  Hide the default email registration, and turn on Facebook and LinkedIn so it'll force users to register only using those two methods.  That way users can use those social networks as another form of social identity verification.  

3.  Allow public registration, and set up a membergroup promotion like such:

• New Member --> Unvalidated

A new member can have total board access with up to 5 posts (and you can change this access to whatever you want, maybe you only want to give New Members access to certain boards such as a Validation / Introduce Yourself board).  Once they hit 5 post, they will move to Unvalidated by default where all of their future posts are hidden / restricted from posting / can only post in Validated.  This is a rather unusual way of using the permission system, of promoting members into a group where they have less permission.  The only way out of the Unvalidated would be manual move to the Validated group.  

These are just ideas, but hope they help!  

@Joel RThanks for your time to make those suggestions.

I think I'm going to test out DawPi's Referral System as one option existing members to help grow the forum.

Then, as per your option 3... for anyone who joins directly, put them into an 'unverified' group that can only post in an introductions forum, giving verified members the ability to confirm who they are.

I guess here is maybe a potential for an application...

A button within the introduction topic that allows a verified member to click to confirm they know them and automatically verifies the member? Not sure if that's possible?

1 minute ago, Jim said:

A button within the introduction topic that allows a verified member to click to confirm they know them and automatically verifies the member? Not sure if that's possible?

Everything is possible with private customization and $$.  

I know @DawPi is taking customizations, so hit him up.  

8 minutes ago, Jim said:

@Joel RThanks for your time to make those suggestions.

I guess here is maybe a potential for an application...

Yes, that is possible. You can also have a log in the Admin Panel to see who verified whom and what time did they do so. You can have a reason field as well so they can say how do they know the member that they verified. I have done something similiar not so long ago. 

Edited by Miss_B

Ok, so one big issue with my plan...

If unverified users are posting into an introduction forum so that they can be verified, it means they can see all the other unverified posters topics... which is a big issue.

So is there a way to allow someone within the unverified group, to post and reply to their own topic, but not see any other topics within the same forum section??

Jim

users.thumb.PNG.a8dc00c5cb05b3f1701c68cdef74e4fb.PNG

Editing the forum you don't want users not see other people's topic by unclicking the "Users can see topics posted by other users?"

Now, if you want other groups to see other people topic in that forum. 

You can add "verified" group in the staff > moderator, give it restricted access, uncheck all then going under forums, select the forum you want them to see all and finally check i believe can see all hidden topics

Edited by Goza