Troubleshoot HIGH mysql load? PLEASE HELP

My site started getting 500 server errors.

Checking on things I found VERY high server loads 40+

I tried to see what was driving it and it was mysql hogging up all of the CPU

I tried restarting mysql and the loads continued, I tried rebooting the ENTIRE server and the loads continued.

Finally I put the IPB website into maintenance mode and the loads dropped to 1

Any ideas on what is going on and how or how I can fix it?

Thank you in advance!! 🙂

In order to troubleshoot high mysql load I would usually start by running the mysql query "SHOW FULL PROCESSLIST" to see if any/which queries have been running for a very long time.

Without more information it's very difficult to know, but you could test this if you have a very big community that uses reactions and are on version 4.5: disable the new topic list view. I reported a performance issue with this new view yesterday

You find it in the general forum settings. Deselect the setting "Members can choose" beneath the setting "Default topic list view", make sure you have selected the Condensed topic list View.

Using ACP search to find it: I was unable to search directly for the setting in the admin cp search, but you can search for "view" and then click "[Forums] Default forum view" in the result, it will take you to the same page (but the selected setting is not what you'll change)

Edited by TSP

1 hour ago, TSP said:

In order to troubleshoot high mysql load I would usually start by running the mysql query "SHOW FULL PROCESSLIST" to see if any/which queries have been running for a very long time.

Without more information it's very difficult to know, but you could test this if you have a very big community that uses reactions and are on version 4.5: disable the new topic list view. I reported a performance issue with this new view yesterday

You find it in the general forum settings. Deselect the setting "Members can choose" beneath the setting "Default topic list view", make sure you have selected the Condensed topic list View.

Using ACP search to find it: I was unable to search directly for the setting in the admin cp search, but you can search for "view" and then click "[Forums] Default forum view" in the result, it will take you to the same page (but the selected setting is not what you'll change)

The path to this setting is in the Community tab, second tab from top to bottom. Forums > Settings > Default topic list view

By the way, thank you. The performance of the forum was horrible, until I disabled it.

Edited by FabioPaz