Easy way for forum posts to got to our facebook group

crazzzydave

Have searched through the forum and can only find one topic that kinda has what I'm looking to do. We have a Facebook group to compliment our forum. What I'd like to do is find out if there is a way to have a feed (say from forum members cars) that posts any new topics or new posts on current topics/threads straight to our Facebook page.

I've seen IFTT and Zapier mentioned but have no idea how to set these up. Is there a simple way to have new forum posts going to our fb group automatically from the forum?

Any help greatly appreciated thanks. Forum version is 4.5.3 (yes I know, i need to update!)

Thank you in advance

Dave

27 minutes ago, crazzzydave said:

Is there a simple way to have new forum posts going to our fb group automatically from the forum?

I don't think you can do it automatically without using third-party plugins, but you can use Promotion to share topics and posts to your Facebook group.

Edit: I've never used IFTTT in combination with Invision Community, and the Zapier integration is not yet available.

Edited by Runar

2 hours ago, crazzzydave said:

Having a look at promotion just now, although it looks like we can only promote posts?

Both topics and single posts can be promoted! To promote a topic you'll have to click the "Promote" (or translated) button at the top, to the left of the "Follow" button.

2 hours ago, crazzzydave said:

Also noticed that when sharing a post, it generates a blank image on fb......not sure if there is a way round this either?

If the topic or post contains images you can include those, and I believe they'll show up on Facebook. Or, to set a default image to be used when no other images are available, you simply edit your theme go to Customization > Appearance > Icons and Logos and upload "Default share images".

Edited by Runar

1 hour ago, optrexnz said:

IFTT or DLVR using RSS will do it.

Have just set this up, so waiting to see if it works! Thank you

2 hours ago, Runar said:

Both topics and single posts can be promoted! To promote a topic you'll have to click the "Promote" (or translated) button at the top, to the left of the "Follow" button.

If the topic or post contains images you can include those, and I believe they'll show up on Facebook. Or, to set a default image to be used when no other images are available, you simply edit your theme go to Customization > Appearance > Icons and Logos and upload "Default share images".

What version of IPB are you using as I don't have anything next to the Follow button? I also don't have the option Customization > Appearance > Icons and Logos so not able to upload any default image? Sure I've seen the default image bit your mention in the acp before but its not under the above path

19 minutes ago, crazzzydave said:

What version of IPB are you using as I don't have anything next to the Follow button? I also don't have the option Customization > Appearance > Icons and Logos so not able to upload any default image? Sure I've seen the default image bit your mention in the acp before but its not under the above path

That's weird, I'm using 4.5.3 as well. Have you given yourself permission to promote topics and posts?

Here is an image of the "Promote" button (it's translated, so "Fremhev" means "Promote") in the section above posts:

2053589628_Screenshot2020-10-03at18_34_10.png.d721521983d62d5d6bbd0c89276a3d4c.png

And an image of the ACP menu:

1367588191_Screenshot2020-10-03at18_32_46.png.cf71996932a6fc861fb400f8e53ffa78.png

Thats really weird!! I found the bit for default image (it is in the themes bit, but only visible if you click on a theme and then click the edit button (see below)

screenshot1.thumb.png.f49a100f8eb51b8bd5d7528c17dc9937.png

Also, here's my "Follow" button...........no promote button next to it? Really is strange considering we're both using the same version of the board.

screenshot2.thumb.png.e6f809d7d67c1b83d9480e55c6992f92.png

Wonder if its an issue with the them I'm using (although acp is using default theme)?

LOL After last post I decided to update to 4.5.3. Have got those icons and logos oprions in same place as yours now so least thats one thing sorted! Having to redo my theme just now as it's not compatible with the latest version............these things are never easy eh!