Do we ACTUALLY need to be able to ship worldwide?

So we've started setting up the commerce system and we came across one thing that kinda made me think.
When a customer is purchasing something or making a donation, they are required to enter their billing address (even if there is no physical product to ship and the invoice is emailed).

We probably won't have any physical products and definitely not planning on shipping worldwide. especially to some of the countries listed there, since they are known to be uninhabited (Like that one). On top of that, We are a non-english website, so we have to translate all the list (that's how I learned that some of the countries in the list are uninhabited. I didn't just randomly know that), and that feels really sisyphic.

I contacted support to ask if there is an option to uncheck some/all countries or limit the billing/shipping option to just one country, but the answer was unfortunately "no". however, I was also advised to bring the issue up on this here forum.

So, anyone agrees that it good be a good idea to let us limit the countries we ship/sell to or receive payment/donations from?

28 minutes ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

anyone agrees that it good be a good idea to let us limit the countries we ship/sell to or receive payment/donations from?

Yes. EU law came in a few years ago about automated delivery of digital items – so restrictions to non-EU are needed for that.

Also, precluding specific countries like Germany that has new mail packaging laws that we cannot meet, so also need to be excluded.

28 minutes ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

So we've started setting up the commerce system and we came across one thing that kinda made me think.
When a customer is purchasing something or making a donation, they are required to enter their billing address (even if there is no physical product to ship and the invoice is emailed).

Actually, you can uncheck this:

1233667149_Bildschirmfoto2020-06-23um14_10_55.thumb.png.941f9c68888b9ff05b2b516e579fd6c3.png

ok, @opentype, first of all, you're f***g amazing. I don't know how that slipped by me, but thanks.
BUT, not all is well. I'll have to look into this further, but I can see two issues:

1. It says that some payment methods won't work - including PayPal and 2checkout, and since those are the only two payment that IPS has and actually work in our country (IL), that means unchecking the boxes to break the commerce anyway...
2. Since this is a public thread, we might as well address sites that do want to sell physical item but aren't really keen on shipping them to Heard Island and McDonald Islands (Who are also, by the way, uninhabited 😄).

EDIT:

Tried your method, but it looks like when buying a subscription you are still required to enter a billing/shipping address.

Edited by Pavel Chernitsky

27 minutes ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

but aren't really keen on shipping them to Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Through shipping rates, you can set which countries you want to ship to. It does not remove any selection from our address selection but will not allow the user to complete purchase and warns them of this. Example: I'm in the US and don't want to ship large products to the UK.

21 minutes ago, Jim M said:

It does not remove any selection from our address selection

Herein lies the problem. Moreover, doing that will only frustrate customers (who live in the "unchecked" countries) even more.
Imagine trying to buy something, entering your address, possibly giving your credit card number, and only then realizing you can't actually get the item. I'd be livid. 

3 minutes ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

Herein lies the problem. Moreover, doing that will only frustrate customers (who live in the "unchecked" countries) even more.
Imagine trying to buy something, entering your address, possibly giving your credit card number, and only then realizing you can't actually get the item. I'd be livid. 

The billing address is before any credit card or payment information so this would not happen.

I'm not saying that the current situation is unacceptable or unmanageable. I could also just straight up ip-block all other countries or put up a site-wide announcement saying "Non-jews not welcome" 😂. But those are workarounds (and granted, can work in a bind) but they're all less than ideal and I'm just thinking about how to make the experience more seamless and pleasant for the users.