Group Promotion Issue

I'm basically trying to set up Group Promotions to where when someone joins the forum, they are placed in a group with limited capabilities until they reach 10 posts. Then they will be moved to my 'Members' group.

In Group Promotions I've set up the group, followed this guide:

Just like the Guide, under Filters, for Groups I left it set to 'All Groups'. Everything else I left settings to 'All', for Content Count I set it to 'More than' - 9. Under Actions I set 'Move to group' to Member. In this group at the top, I do have 'Enabled' turned on.

in Groups, I have this groups setting, 'Enable Group Promotions' turned on. 

Now, people are registering, but they are put in my 'Member' group, and not this new group I've made. Does anyone know why this would happen? I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thank you.

Okay so IPS 101... the member group is default group. You can't get them out of it.

Basically:
Join:

Pre-Member (not approved member)

Member (Approved member)

If you don't want them in your base member group you need to enable admin approval.

IF you want something where they upgrade after X posts you need to create a secondary member group that is the "true members" group. That is promoted after X posts.

29 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

If you don't want them in your base member group you need to enable admin approval.

Do you mean under the Registration tab, here?
adminapproval.thumb.png.4800ebc8b966fb637cc34f4da0b7dcae.png

32 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

IF you want something where they upgrade after X posts you need to create a secondary member group that is the "true members" group. That is promoted after X posts.

It's so funny cause following the Help Guide that I linked too, it makes it seem so straightforward, but it's not. 

Group Promotion Rules

You would set up group promotion rules within the following area of the ACP

Members -> Members -> Group Promotions

From here you can add any number of criteria in which to use for promoting members. In this example I have set up to move members who have done 1000 posts . Whilst the example below is quite simple, you can see from the options available, you can set up some quite complex options, should you wish to do so.

There is no mention of even using a Secondary Group at all in the guide. I just want to achieve what the guide is going over. I set up a group let's say named "NEW", when someone first signs up and activates their account, they would be placed in "NEW" under their name on the forum it would show them in the group "NEW". I would limit this groups permissions, disabling signatures, animated profile pics, amount of conversations they could send a day, etc, once they've reached 10 Posts, then they would move to the 'MEMBER' group. That simple.

What you've suggested to do, I'm not even sure what to do with that info, following the guide did not work. If there is anyway you could actually break it down, step by step what each setting needs to be in order to achieve this, I would be forever grateful. If it's too time consuming, no worries, I understand. Thanks anyway for the reply. I do appreciate the effort to help.

shingeki no kyojin eren jaeger GIF

If you look at the conf_global.php file in your FTP, there is a line member_group that defines the default registration member group (usually group ID 3). Effectively what you want to do is

1. Set conf_global.php member_group to be the group you want all newly registered users in (in your example "NEW").
  2. Set up a group promotion rule so that after 10 posts, the user is moved into the better member group ("Members" in your example)

That's it.

7 hours ago, bfarber said:

If you look at the conf_global.php file in your FTP, there is a line member_group that defines the default registration member group (usually group ID 3). Effectively what you want to do is

1. Set conf_global.php member_group to be the group you want all newly registered users in (in your example "NEW").
  2. Set up a group promotion rule so that after 10 posts, the user is moved into the better member group ("Members" in your example)

That's it.

Finally!!!! It worked. Such an easy fix, but again, something very different than what's in the guide. Not sure what the issue was with that. But I am very thankful for you taking the time to provide assistance and a solution for my issue. Many thanks!!!

I'm just adding this here for anyone that sees this after so they know what I suggested IS correct and so is the guide. By default the Members group is what people are thrown into (aka the NEW group). The Validating group is basically Pre-Members. They are a member a unvalidated member in the Members group (What the old validating group used to be in the 3.0 days).

What Brandon suggested is required when you've created a completely separate group and want to change that to the new "default" group. As he said "3" or the "Members" group is the default group people are assigned to when they are first joined. This group should be your "new" group by default. Any promotions etc should be created from there.

So you change the Members to "New" and you create a new group called "Full Member" and you use the group promotions (whatever you want the criteria to be) to promote from the default group to the "Full member" group.

Basically you did it backwards. You created a new group and wanted that to be your "new members" group instead of editing the default group and creating a new group for your "full members".

4 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

You created a new group and wanted that to be your "new members" group instead of editing the default group and creating a new group for your "full members".

When you put it this way, this is something I can understand. Thank you for all your help with this. I hope others see this that may be struggling with the same thing and can use the info you've provided.

Thanks again Morrigan. 

We recently implemented something like this for our forum. Question though, is there a plugin that will list your progress towards an automatic promotion rule? Although we explain the criteria to everyone that asks, a simple progress bar might cut down on the questions and help folks along.

15 hours ago, Morrigan said:

If its just based on post count @GolfSpy STUDque then using HTML and CSS you can create a pages block to do it. I currently do something similar for my prospective members as they need 10 posts to be promoted to an Initiate.

Sounds like we’re very similar.  Ours is 15 posts, receive 15 likes, and be a member for a least 2 days. Unfortunately, HTML and CSS are not my strong suit. We have a developer on staff that can help with these things but are you able to provide an example of the code so I can point them in the right direction?

I mean mine is super basic as I wanted something basic so I just pulled the users information and did some math:

{{$totalleft = 10 - \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->member_posts;}}
              You have {$totalleft} posts before you get promoted to Initiate.

You'd have to do the math for yours differently but totally doable. I do tons of "date based" math on my site.

1 hour ago, Morrigan said:

I mean mine is super basic as I wanted something basic so I just pulled the users information and did some math:

{{$totalleft = 10 - \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->member_posts;}}
              You have {$totalleft} posts before you get promoted to Initiate.

You'd have to do the math for yours differently but totally doable. I do tons of "date based" math on my site.

Is it possible you could take a screenshot of the results of this looks like on the front end?