What is this junk in my uploads folder???

2 hours ago, bfarber said:

Yes those look like partial upload files.

Where do you store your attachments and Downloads files? Locally or S3?

Locally. And every month I end up with a bunch of this junk.

I could save a lot of disk space by deleting it. @bfarber am I ok to delete this stuff?

Better question, why doesn't an IPS task clean out this stuff?

Any orphan file whatever in these folders should be wiped in my opinion.

Edited by SJ77

Those are enormous files. I would assume the upload of media files like videos would be the likely culprit.

While you could probably safely write and schedule a cronjob script removing files that are older than X days as likely no longer being an upload in progress, I would agree with @SJ77 that there's an expectation that IPS would be applying some logic that would recognize when an upload had been stopped or aborted and clean up after itself.

Have you overridden your temporary directory in your constants.php file?

define( 'TEMP_DIRECTORY', ... );

Normally the files you are referring to are written to the system temporary directory which would be automatically cleaned by the OS as needed. I expect you've overridden where temporary files are located and that explains why you are seeing these. I can't reproduce any issues in local testing presently.

Actually I think I just managed to reproduce so I'm taking a closer look at what we can do.

2 hours ago, bfarber said:

Have you overridden your temporary directory in your constants.php file?

define( 'TEMP_DIRECTORY', ... );

Normally the files you are referring to are written to the system temporary directory which would be automatically cleaned by the OS as needed. I expect you've overridden where temporary files are located and that explains why you are seeing these. I can't reproduce any issues in local testing presently.

Actually I think I just managed to reproduce so I'm taking a closer look at what we can do.

Yeah, I have not overridden my temp directory. Thank you for looking into this. I can save A LOT of disk space by removing these chunks