Bad word filter

Hello! 

I added a bunch of bad word filters because I am working towards cleaning up my forum. Google Ad manager insists the pages do not have any profanity and have linked me to pages that use bad words.

It shows a lot of instances of the F-word, however I created a filter that should prohibit that word from showing. However, it still does. Why is that? The f-word should not appear in this post, however it is there despite the rule. Any idea why that could be or what I can do to fix.

https://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/index.php?/topic/762062-britney-has-removed-slumber-party-and-touch-of-my-hand-from-the-show/&do=findComment&comment=16380198

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 6.05.33 PM.png

Here are my filters:

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 6.09.09 PM.png

6 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Hello! 

I added a bunch of bad word filters because I am working towards cleaning up my forum. Google Ad manager insists the pages do not have any profanity and have linked me to pages that use bad words.

It shows a lot of instances of the F-word, however I created a filter that should prohibit that word from showing. However, it still does. Why is that? The f-word should not appear in this post, however it is there despite the rule. Any idea why that could be or what I can do to fix.

Retroactive badwords filter:

Or even this:

FYI, if you have a word set to loose (such as the one you have right at the very top of your screenshot), you do NOT need all the stemmed versions of the word too.

An example not using a legitimate bad word: if I have a loose bad word filter for "top" then this would cover all variations such as "topped", "topping" and "tops", as well as any words containing the root word, such as "stop". A loose filter loosely matches the word, so I would remove all of your extra variations. They will simply cause the parser to require more work performed with no benefit whatsoever (i.e. your server is wasting resources).

5 hours ago, bfarber said:

FYI, if you have a word set to loose (such as the one you have right at the very top of your screenshot), you do NOT need all the stemmed versions of the word too.

An example not using a legitimate bad word: if I have a loose bad word filter for "top" then this would cover all variations such as "topped", "topping" and "tops", as well as any words containing the root word, such as "stop". A loose filter loosely matches the word, so I would remove all of your extra variations. They will simply cause the parser to require more work performed with no benefit whatsoever (i.e. your server is wasting resources).

Ahh ok thank you. I was going crazy with the filters because I couldn't figure out why bad words were still showing up.

10 hours ago, DawPi said:

Retroactive badwords filter:

Or even this:

Oh interesting, so the bad word filters won't work for bad words people left in the past prior to setting up the filter? 

On 3/6/2020 at 1:57 PM, bfarber said:

Correct - changes that affect what is or can be posted are NOT retroactive. Some options, such as enabling lazy load, will give you the option to rebuild previous posts.

@bfarber hey there.

I bought and installed the plugin. It actually caused my site to have tons of background processes in the admin panel. The plugin  stopped people from adding comments, comment count wasn’t being tallied and more. I had to disable it per advice from the tech support team here at IPB. Any idea why this could be happening?

On 3/9/2020 at 6:49 AM, bfarber said:

I imagine the processes were to rebuild the old content, that's normal.

I don't know why it would have caused the other issues you mention however and would recommend contacting the author for help.

@DawPi fixed it 🙂

Wondering...  I have users registering with bad words in the name and am having to have them change their usernames. Any fix? 🙏 

Edited by Jordan Miller