Struggling with Google Maps integration

Sonya*

After hours of try and error, I am still not able to integrate Google Maps. 

I follow this guide https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/community-enhancements/google-map-integration-r270/ Unfortunately IPS Admin area and Google area look both different, the screenshots in the guide seem to be outdated. Additionally there are different APIs named in the guide and in the GUI of IPS.

In the guide we have:

• Google Maps Javascript API
  • Google Static Map API
  • Google Maps Embed API (only in guide, but not in ACP)
  • Google Maps Geocoding API

In IPS ACP we have:

• Maps Javascript API
  • Maps Static API
  • Geocoding API
  • Places API (only in ACP but not in guide)

My questions are:

• What APIs are really required?
  • How to set proper restrictions for the APIs? If I add restrictions as stated in ACP, I cannot save the public API key any more.
  • What is the Secret Key? Required field in ACP that is not described in the guide.
  • Should I add domain verification in Google APIs?

Thank you for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to see you are having issues with the guide there, and I will take a look at that. There is actually very little changed from what I can see however. Indeed the maps embed API is needed as per the instructions, and the places API is required, but only if you are using autocomplete for addresses, as stated in the ACP

With the secret, this is only required if you are restricting by IP. If you are not, or are unsure about that, then you are not currently using it. I will get that guide updated to make this clearer or course. 🙂 

Archived