A national site instead of international

yameth

Isn't it strange in a forum with a non English language, located on the other side of the Atlantic to have the US as default country when trying to add a venue on the Calendar?

Having to search for his specific country among hundreds, just to add an address next door?

And that's not only for the calendar of course.

It would be far easier for the members if there was an option on the settings for the admin to choose the default country of the site, as well as those other countries which are relevant to his visitors, e.g. neighboring countries.

I would definitely appreciate it.

It should use whatever your browser has it's region set to, and if there is nothing there, not select anything as the default. Look here and see what your browser is reporting for "Language": https://www.whatsmybrowser.org

Or, if you enable Google Maps autocomplete information and the user grants access, it will use your real location and autocomplete favouring addresses that are in the same city/etc as you

If someone chooses to have their browser in English (like me for example and many other people do for many reasons, including bad translation of technical terms), then it is useless. 30% of my forum members choose to use English.

As far as Google maps autocomplete information is concerned, I am sure there are many webmasters (including me again) who have converted from another platform, thus bringing in thousands of members with no such initial choice. Unless I have missed something. Anyway a webmasters job is to make members feel welcome and make their visit as easy as possible, instead of telling them to change this and that after a conversion (remember we are trying to retain them after a "painful" change of scenery).

13 minutes ago, yameth said:

As far as Google maps autocomplete information is concerned, I am sure there are many webmasters (including me again) who have converted from another platform, thus bringing in thousands of members with no such initial choice.

Could you please clarify what you're referring to in regards to initial choice? 

The first time any user goes to an address field in a new browser, they will be asked if they would like to grant location permission to the application. The form then would handle the rest if they grant permission.

50 minutes ago, yameth said:

If someone chooses to have their browser in English (like me for example and many other people do for many reasons, including bad translation of technical terms), then it is useless.

Same here. I have some projects in three languages. It is impossible to change the browser language every time I would like to enter an event or location. Not being able to define the geographical location per project is indeed annoying.

44 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Could you please clarify what you're referring to in regards to initial choice? 

The first time any user goes to an address field in a new browser, they will be asked if they would like to grant location permission to the application. The form then would handle the rest if they grant permission.

I see what you mean.

Even though I have granted location permission to the application the "problem" exists. Never mind someone who uses a VPN also.

4 minutes ago, yameth said:

Even though I have granted location permission to the application the "problem" exists.

In your ticket, you were experiencing issues of Google Maps API not being properly setup. Once it is, Google Maps should be detecting the country correctly for users who have properly granted permission. If it is still not working, please reply to your ticket and we can continue to assist you in getting the Google Maps API working.

Archived