Staff Directory

Hunter Lyons

Is there any way I can add someone to the staff directory twice? A lot of my staff have multiple roles.

For example, one of them is Director of Community and also the Fighting Games Community Council Chair.

My Vice President is also Indie Games Community Council Chair. My Treasurer is Indie Games Community Council Chair.

I'd like to list them each twice on the directory. One for both of their roles, in different sections of it. When I try to, this happens:

e0bca0470865e600da3c15de0e17fc52.png

@Adlago The members on your top row show up because you added the group "Moderators".

You cannot add multiple individual members, but you can add both a member group, and the individual members in that member group. But you can not add a member to a staff directory group if the member is part of a member group that is already added there. Hope that made sense.

What @Hunter Lyons is trying to do is to add a user twice. That cannot be done, even if they're added to different staff directory groups.

image.thumb.png.74ec6cdedd83456916b1dc0acaa11d42.png

I am on the top row because I am part of the Administrators group. But I can not add myself as an individual member on that row, no matter what I change the display name to,
But I could add myself to the "Moderators" row as a member. But I can not add myself twice to that row, or in any other staff directory groups.

EDIT: Same goes with member groups. It can only be added once.

1 hour ago, Martin A. said:

The members on your top row show up because you added the group "Moderators".

You cannot add multiple individual members, but you can add both a member group, and the individual members in that member group. But you can not add a member to a staff directory group if the member is part of a member group that is already added there. Hope that made sense.

See this screenshots and comment

1.thumb.png.b0541629a925556bca7be73ef1efc1c5.png

2.thumb.png.866403d4059bb2c705d92eb979d0ce98.png

3.thumb.png.57686305c7233997591073fd76b09fcb.png

4.thumb.png.bb15dadd6df7a27be039e4cf9f5aae22.png

Pay attention to the user Pbx- absolutely ordinary member, but here it is already staff

@Hunter Lyons the best option here would probably be to create secondary groups for those that need to be listed under separate teams as you can only add an individual once to the staff directory but they can be in multiple groups and those groups can also be listed once. So you would have like:

Indie Team for example you would add that team as a secondary group to all related team members and add the "Indie Team" to that staff group in your directory. Everyone with the primary or secondary group of "Indie Team" will show under that header. Note in my screenshot that I added myself as an individual under administrators but I added secondary Groups "Communications" and "Contributions" Teams to my account profile and I show in those two teams too (I'm Morrigan on here):

image.png

e344dee563ecd336547855accb5b3a6e.png

Good idea. I made one for the Board, and then I'll manually add each person to their respective second groups. However -- it doesn't seem I can organize group ones. This is a very weird order to have them in. Is there any way I can organize staff from a group?

In my case, logically, it'd be...

President VP 
Secretary Treasurer
Comms Events
Community eSports

I could make individual roles for each of these and manually assign them then add them to the directory, but that seems like a lot more work to accomplish something that should be relatively simple. 

Honestly, this whole staff directory function seems pretty broken and redundant.

4 minutes ago, Hunter Lyons said:

Honestly, this whole staff directory function seems pretty broken and redundant.

It's worth keeping in mind that the feature is intended to allow you to display the staff of your community, and typically you wouldn't want to show users twice.

If you add a group, you cannot control the order of the results. If you add individual members, you can reorder them in the AdminCP.

Just now, bfarber said:

It's worth keeping in mind that the feature is intended to allow you to display the staff of your community, and typically you wouldn't want to show users twice.

That's a fair point. I can see that its intended function is to automatically update as you update roles. It is a very useful and helpful module, but I do wish it was more customizable. 

With us, we have over 50 active volunteers on staff and 300+ active members (as an in-person organization), so our hierarchy and staff are pretty complex. People wear multiple hats. 

I imagine many others have similar needs and setups in terms of their staff, but I could be an outlier. Either way, thanks to both of you for your prompt help and discussion.

16 minutes ago, Hunter Lyons said:

That's a fair point. I can see that its intended function is to automatically update as you update roles. It is a very useful and helpful module, but I do wish it was more customizable. 

With us, we have over 50 active volunteers on staff and 300+ active members (as an in-person organization), so our hierarchy and staff are pretty complex. People wear multiple hats. 

I imagine many others have similar needs and setups in terms of their staff, but I could be an outlier. Either way, thanks to both of you for your prompt help and discussion.

An alternative, that may suit your needs better, is to possibly look into using Pages to build your own custom Employment directory. This would allow you to create either categories or a select box that has the different items as well as be able to define roles and order depending on your own personal wants and needs using custom fields. This would also allow you to add the same person into different groups.

Archived