Most confusing date of birth in Edge on registration.

Black Tiger

This is very confusing. Firefox and Chrome have an easy way to fill in the date.

Internet Explorer has it a bit different, but still easy because you see a calendar with date, month and the full year. Easy to choose.

But when using Edge things get confusing a lot.

At first Edge does not recognize I'm Dutch, so displayes mm/dd/jjjj instead of dd/mm/jjjj.

image.thumb.png.151f0aa3c56e97512843483e5036b551.png

Now I click on this date and suddenly, we get this kind of calender, but now in Dutch, with the day at the first position (which is confusing already because it first said month first).
image.png.8c93a27c230762741bbd1fd99751bfda.png

And then the most confusing and annoying part is presented. What you are seeing on the right side are the years, but only the last 2 parts.

So I'm born in 63 so I scroll down to 63 and select and wonder..... suddenly I'm born in 2020.

So I scroll up to 63 and them I'm born in 2021.

To get the correct 1963 I have to scroll down to 63 and then scroll further to the next time 63 is appearing and finally I got 1963 which is correct.

As you can see, for Edge users this is a real fuzz. Isn't there a way this can be fixed by me, or be done in a better way so all browsers have the same easy input like everywhere else? Just a simple date window the user can fill in himself or something like that?

I personally wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment (although, yes I do agree that the Edge/Windows date picker could be better), the native date fields are fully controlled by the host browser (including the formatting of the placeholder etc).

The main reason I wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment is...

• Edge has a low market share
  • It's a common UI widget with the OS (thus I would assume that users are at least familiar with it and it's been in place since Windows 10 was launched)
  • Edge is being replaced with a Chromium based version, which (currently) has a different date picker.
    image.png 

Hello Stuart.

Thank you for your reply. I don't worry too much about Edge, but since it's rather fast it was gaining popularity. Not that much until now because users are luckily too happy with their Firefox and Chrome browsers.

I do have windows 10 but never saw this kind of calender before, without a year like 19 or 20 in front of it. Very odd that windows created something confusing like that.

If Edge will be replaced with a Chromium based version might be a lot better. At least the calender looks a lot better.

Thanks!

57 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

If Edge will be replaced with a Chromium based version might be a lot better. At least the calender looks a lot better.

It seems nice so far, it's still under development so things will change as they add more features that were in the old (current) Edge. If you want to try it you can get it here: https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com

Archived