Improving load speeds

ChrisVanMeer

In order to minimize the amount of requests on page load, please include an option to combine all interface and/or editor script call into one or two scripts. 
Our site currently requires up to 42 different script calls to function the way we want, but this leads to degraded performance for multiple users.

When we use https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ and the Chrome Audit tool we see recommendations that say there are a large number of requests and DOM nodes.

On a Macbook Pro 2016/16gb it takes about 9 seconds to fully render a topic page.

16 minutes ago, ChrisVanMeer said:

but this leads to degraded performance for multiple users.

Why? 
It is not like these files need to load one after the other. 

16 minutes ago, ChrisVanMeer said:

On a Macbook Pro 2016/16gb it takes about 9 seconds to fully render a topic page.

Yeah, that should be investigated. That’s way too much. But I can’t see how it’s caused by the number of script files. 

22 minutes ago, opentype said:

Why? 
It is not like these files need to load one after the other. 

I have submitted a case for some users that are not seeing the "choose files" in the editor sometimes.
They have to refresh the page to make it visible again. When doing our own investigations we saw that the audit tool showed us some recommendation which makes us believe that this might impact performance.

I included this in the support case, on which the support engineer said me for general feedback, to place this part in the feedback forum.

7 hours ago, ChrisVanMeer said:

Consider using Cloudflare for your DNS. Cloudflare does a great job at "optimizing" sites (including bundling JavaScript into one response). You can use Cloudflare for free until you decide to upgrade to one of their premium plans. I use Cloudflare, for $20/month, for my main domain and use the free option for all my other domains.

Archived