Load the posts in the topics with an infinity scroll

Askancy

Why not allow messages to be loaded with infinity scroll avoided the next page?

Today I read a topic in a forum with 18 pages, each page had 25 messages, and I thought that if there was an infinity scroll the reading would have been much more pleasant and fluid, even by clicking on the quote.

Something already adopted by Discourse and Flarum.

• Management

There's a few barriers to this currently. The first being that we have stuff in the footer you'd never reach. Secondly, at some point the page will get pretty large. We have customers that have thousands of pages, so we'd need a strategy to account for that.

Hi Matt, thanks for your reply.

Honestly in the footer's topic I don't find that there are useful things, only "Recently Browsing" could be useful, But it would also be easily replaceable. In the Discourse forum however, it is easy to reach the footer thanks to the navigation bar on the right, the same thing with nodebb.

Perhaps the method used by nodebb avoids having large pages thanks to a particular reload of the page. Otherwise another alternative is to leave the administrators the choice whether to use pagination or infinity scroll, a bit like viewing forums: list, grid or fluid...

I believe that for IP.Board the time has come to reinvent pagination. With the release of IP.Board 4.x you have introduced many ajax /jquery actions to see the actions in real time, but the pagination is still 2008 years style...

I always love visiting those infinity scroll  websites where they have really good info in the footer, and I can never ever reach it.  And just when I think it's stopped loading because I've hit the max number of items ..  it loads more! 

perfect loop infinity GIF

True picture of Joel trying to get to the footer links.  

4 minutes ago, Joel R said:

I always love visiting those infinity scroll  websites where they have really good info in the footer, and I can never ever reach it.  And just when I think it's stopped loading because I've hit the max number of items ..  it loads more! 

If the footer has important information and an infinity scroll has been installed there is clearly a design problem. In this topic for example, what is the important information in the footer? (which cannot be reached from the homepage, of course)

8 minutes ago, Askancy said:

If the footer has important information and an infinity scroll has been installed there is clearly a design problem. In this topic for example, what is the important information in the footer? (which cannot be reached from the homepage, of course)

I'm not criticizing your idea.  If anything, I can't wait for IPS to release a next gen community solution with algorithmic recommendations, infinity scrolling, push notifications, and AI robots who can write sassy yet informative posts.  

10 minutes ago, Joel R said:

I can't wait for IPS to release a next gen community solution with algorithmic recommendations, infinity scrolling, push notifications, and AI robots who can write sassy yet informative posts.  

Ah, so even push notifications are useless for you? I respect your opinion, but seeing your answer you do not respect our. Have a nice day 🙂

1 hour ago, Askancy said:

Ah, so even push notifications are useless for you? I respect your opinion, but seeing your answer you do not respect our. Have a nice day 🙂

I stated that I support your idea.  My humor might be mistranslated.  

• Management

For the record, I'm not against the idea. It's just that we'd need to rework a few things and consider sites that use Google Ads to bring in income which relies on physical page impressions and so on.

• 4 weeks later...

How about a swipe-like feature for the posts and a setting for the number of posts to display on a page?  Think of the Kindle reader.  It isn't as far off from what you have now but I prefer to read a smaller number of posts and (perhaps), reply right there, and flick and reply. 

Archived