How to copy posts or topics

BankFodder

Is there any way one can copy rather than move or merge a post, selection of posts or even an entire topic from one location to another so that you effectively have two copies of the same material but in different places? I don't see any way to do this?

24 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Hi @BankFodder

Thanks for posting this suggestion.  Just curious, can you explain why you'd like to copy a topic or post in two different parts of your forum? 

Firstly, we have recently converted our platform from vBulletin to Invision community. We've been running an extremely large vBulletin forum for nearly 14 years. This means that we have a certain culture which is useful to us and which we feel comfortable with. Also, we have a very large membership which is also comfortable with our existing culture. I notice that in a very helpful guide on this Invision community forum – called 10 tips to converting from vBulletin (or something like that) there is emphasis on making the two environments as similar to each other as possible to make the transition more palatable for the members.
One of the features of vBulletin is that there is a huge flexibility for the copying of topics/threads or posts – either singly or a selection of them to a new thread or to an existing thread.

We have found it very useful because frequently on our forum people have posted very useful information that we consider is very valuable for the entire community and so we copy the thread or we copy the post to a library of information and make sure that it is inserted into a place where it is easily discovered – and then maybe we add comments. We don't want simply to post a link. Also, we don't want effectively to copy the content of the post into a new post and not give credit to the original author.One of the features of our library is that although the forum is open to all without registration, in order to have access to the library, you have to be registered. This helps to encourage people to register onto the community. We have maintained this practice with our Invision installation. We then often use auto links to direct people to the library content.

There were a number of reasons for moving from vBulletin and there were a number of reasons for choosing Invision as our new platform. One thing we certainly didn't want is our migration to be retrogressive in any way. I'm a bit surprised that many of the features which are quite standard in vBulletin are only available thanks to third-party developers on the Invision platform. This is fair enough though if they are available.

We want to have an Invision platform which contains all of the features of our previous vBulletin platform and then improves by doing things better or adding even more functionality. Frankly I would have thought that that would be one of the main objectives of the Invision development team – to produce as fully featured a platform as possible which means including the functionality of all your competitors – and then some.

We find the ability to copy topics and posts extremely useful. And I'm very pleased to see that Adriano has a plug-in which might do the job.

35 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Yes, only topics as stated in the plugin name and in the description:

You should have asked before buy. :huh:

Don't worry, I'm not complaining. The ability to copy entire topics is a good start and of course I suppose what we can do is copy a topic and then delete the posts that we don't want. It's a bit of a lumpy workaround – and if you feel that you would like to upgrade your plug-in to be able to copy topics as well then that would be very handy.

Congratulations @BankFodder on the migration from vBulletin and welcome to Invision Community!  I'm glad you found the guide of 10 Tips for Converting from vBulletin useful.  

We'd love to develop everything that we can, from both our existing client base and from the features of our competitors.  There's no way for us to match perfect functionality with every competitor out there, but we hope you take the time to discover new features in Invision Community that can help advance your community beyond what you're accustomed.  I highly recommend reading the Product Updates category of the IPS Blog, which can help bring you up to speed on some of the best new features:

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/ 

We appreciate the feedback and look forward to having you a part of our community 🙂 

17 hours ago, Joel R said:

Thanks for posting this suggestion.  Just curious, can you explain why you'd like to copy a topic or post in two different parts of your forum? 

Copying a post to a different part: That post can be a thread starter without disturbing the original thread.

Standard in vB and XF.

• 6 months later...

Archived