Custom theme in dev mode

Tom S.

2 hours ago, Tom S. said:

When I turn on developer mode, the theme of the suite starts using the default theme.

How can I get it to use my custom theme?

In my experience, if just creating a theme then not much need to be in Development Mode (but of course I could be wrong)

You basically "can't". At least you can't go selecting themes from the ACP to change while in DEV mode because then the suite starts to use the template files found in each app's dev folder. You'd need to change the templates / css files for each app.

Also the same with plugins.

3 hours ago, Tom S. said:

When I turn on developer mode, the theme of the suite starts using the default theme.

How can I get it to use my custom theme?

are talking front end or admin cp ? and like @steve00 said unless need designer mode eg uploading images/resources or adding settings then not need as all can be done in admin cp.

6 hours ago, Tom S. said:

Well I'm creating my own custom pages/apps which will use my own heavily customised theme. So, I would like to see my work in the theme it will be using and not the default IPS one.

then should be easy view theme on front end but still little unsure why need designer mode on.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:13 PM, bfarber said:

If developer mode is enabled, the theme and CSS files are loaded from the /dev folder on disk. You can't use a custom theme.

Is this because you expect people who create custom stuff only do so with the intention of selling it in the market place?

If I am creating something for personal use, why do I have to built it using the default theme?

19 hours ago, Tom S. said:

Is this because you expect people who create custom stuff only do so with the intention of selling it in the market place?

If I am creating something for personal use, why do I have to built it using the default theme?

It is because "developer mode" is present for developers to develop applications and plugins. By reading and processing templates from the application or plugin folder, this allows for streamlined application development. In order to use custom themes, we wouldn't be able to use the files on disk (which means as a developer if I edited one of my template files, I'd have to jump through some sort of hoops to get those templates imported into the database, copied to the other themes, etc.).

If you are working on a custom theme, you really should be using designers mode instead of developer mode.

If you are both developing and designing, you should switch back and forth as needed between developer mode and designer mode.

Archived