Clubs (public) and members

dean84

When clubs first came out, clubs was able to be set to public, and still allow members to join.

Anyone know how this can be done again? Its nice to know who is a fan of a club (football) without the need of stopping other fans joining in the topics

Basically I want the "open" club, to allow members to join, but open up the topics to all members of the site, not just the club.

Nothing has changed in that regard as far as I know. Those are the club types from the beginning:

• Public 
    Everyone can see the club and its posts, and can participate without joining.

• Open 
    Everyone can see the club and its posts, but only members can participate. Everyone can join.

• Closed 
    Everyone can see the club and who's in it, but only members can see posts and participate. Users need to ask a leader to join.

• Private 
    Only members can find the club and see its posts. Users need to be invited by a leader to join.

This was added later:

• Read Only 
    Everyone can see the club and its posts, but only members can participate. Users need to be invited by a leader to join.

So what you ask for would be an “open” club. 

When it first started, you could create a club, it would still allow users to join the club, but also allowed those not joined to post. When you view the club listing, it still shows the ammount of members in a club even when its public, but the option to join is no longer there.

So if a club was set as open, and had 50 members, they would be listed in the member tab, if you then set the club to public, it still shows as 50 members in the listing screen, but the member list and the ability to join is removed. This wasn't always the case. (nvm must have been a caching issue yesterday as today the member total is not showing when made public)

I tried editing the heading template to show those links even if public, but when you click the link, the page doesn't exist.

edit: there is still a listing of members somewhere for the page, as if you make it public, and remove the 2if statement" for public groups, the club card shows total members. Its just getting that option back within the club and to work is where I am having the issue.

It would be handy if i could get it to work, as you could create a club for each team, allow users to join it as a 'fan', and still be able to talk with fans of other clubs

Archived