How do I setup a mirrored development site?

jwdenzel

I want to have a private "dev" site that mirrors my main one so I can test out upgrades and new skin designs. I duplicated my site and its database and set it up on a  different IP address. I changed the site URL parameter. But every time I login, it takes me to my main site. 

Example:   WORKING: https://MySite.com

NOT working: https://dev.MySite.com  -- When I login here, it forwards me to the live site.

Is this a licensing limit? How do I setup a dev site or get a dev license? 

You will want to do everything suggested here.

1. First, change the URL in conf_global.php (the key will be base_url or board_url - you may also need to change the database details here if you haven't already).
  2. Next, log in to the AdminCP and run the support tool to clear out any of your caches.
  3. Also, change the license key as suggested (your license allows one live site and one test site)

On 9/10/2018 at 5:48 AM, bfarber said:

1. First, change the URL in conf_global.php (the key will be base_url or board_url - you may also need to change the database details here if you haven't already).
  2. Next, log in to the AdminCP and run the support tool to clear out any of your caches.
  3. Also, change the license key as suggested (your license allows one live site and one test site)

Thank you. I'll try all this out.  But how do I do steps 2 or 3 when I am not able to log into the AdminCP? When I login, it redirects me to my live, production AdminCP.  Can I modify the license directly in the db?

5 minutes ago, jwdenzel said:

Thank you. I'll try all this out.  But how do I do steps 2 or 3 when I am not able to log into the AdminCP? When I login, it redirects me to my live, production AdminCP.  Can I modify the license directly in the db?

Did you already do step 1? Because that is why you are being redirected to your live site.

11 minutes ago, Faqole said:

Did you already do step 1? Because that is why you are being redirected to your live site.

Yes, I did, and I just verified that it is set correctly:

$INFO['board_url']                      =       'https://dev.dragonmount.com';

And I verified that the db info was correct as well, pointing to the proper MySQL db, and username / pw. 

On 9/10/2018 at 5:48 AM, bfarber said:

Hi bfarber,

Bumping this again. I did step 1, but but I cannot do spit 2, because when I login,it still takes me to the AdminCP of my live site. See my previous post, I set my board_url to the dev site.

Thoughts?

Archived