How to Change the admin directory Url

Gill

Hi guys :laugh: i am trying to change the admin URL on my localhost for extra security practice. After installation of ipb on localhost i just rename the admin directory to something else but it didn't work. should i have to make some changes on .htaccess server file. i also tried to find out security tab inside the admin panel but did'nt find it too :wacko: 

For admin directory rename can i choose the folder name with special character like so that my admin url become like www.mydomain.com/g@15Hio$_ggg

Thanks

9 minutes ago, balwant said:

Hi guys :laugh: i am trying to change the admin URL on my localhost for extra security practice. After installation of ipb on localhost i just rename the admin directory to something else but it didn't work. should i have to make some changes on .htaccess server file. i also tried to find out security tab inside the admin panel but did'nt find it too :wacko: 

For admin directory rename can i choose the folder name with special character like so that my admin url become like www.mydomain.com/g@15Hio$_ggg

Thanks

did you look at the help guides

Do you really need to change it when using localhost as forum is not open to public to access anyway

In essence you need to tell the suite what the new directory is named. You simply do this by adding a line to your constants.php file (or create one if you do not have one) ?

Here is a guide > https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/advanced-options/configuration-options/hiding-the-admincp-r296/

You *might* have issues on localhost (if its Windows) with some characters in the directory name, but I've not personally tested that, worse case is you might have to lose the 'at' symbol I guess. May not be an issue on Linux.

constants.php should live in the suite root directory, this being the same directory where conf_global.php and init.php live.

See this guide if you're unsure what I mean > https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/advanced-options/configuration-options/using-constantsphp-r25/

Hope that helps! :biggrin:

EDIT...

2 minutes ago, steve00 said:

did you look at the help guides

Do you really need to change it when using localhost as forum is not open to public to access anyway

Would guess the OP want's to check out how it works (properly) on a test installation before applying said changes to a live site. Just my random speculation as to why. ? I see what you're saying though too.

47 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

? are you afraid of hacking yourself? 

YES ? I am trying to implement the full security system on localhost first,then deploy on live server for precautions

1 hour ago, AndyF said:

In essence you need to tell the suite what the new directory is named. You simply do this by adding a line to your constants.php file (or create one if you do not have one) ?

Here is a guide > https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/advanced-options/configuration-options/hiding-the-admincp-r296/

You *might* have issues on localhost (if its Windows) with some characters in the directory name, but I've not personally tested that, worse case is you might have to lose the 'at' symbol I guess. May not be an issue on Linux.

constants.php should live in the suite root directory, this being the same directory where conf_global.php and init.php live.

See this guide if you're unsure what I mean > https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/advanced-options/configuration-options/using-constantsphp-r25/

@AndyF Hi thanks for reply :) i created constants.php File and put following code and rename the admin directory to mynewadminurl  

<?php

define( 'mynewadminurl', 'admin' );

and when i am trying visit through mydomian.com/mynewadminurl   it show not found error 

could you please help me :)

Archived